Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

i made a step by step for those foam popper bodies

oh and in return for the step by step i would love to see pics of the poppers...just kidding you dont have to post them but i would love to see them.

sniksoh

Hey, I'll definitely post a picture once it's done. I guess if it dried overnight it should be good. I'm glad to hear it only takes about 10 minutes, because I didn't glue anymore up last night, and I have a feeling that after I turn them today, I'll wish I had....but I can wait 10 minutes if that's all it takes.

hopefully i can start one off tonight.....i think ill make a "midnight black" one! :) ill glue some glitter to it somehow too!

I've coated some foam popper bodies in flexament, it dries clear. I'm not sure if it adds anything to the durability of the fly. Probably just an unnecessary step.

when im turning these things...they wont stay put!!!! the nail keeps spinnin inside of the foam...what am i doin wrong?

put a drop of super glue at both ends.....let it dry long enough, or it will spin again....mine did that. be careful when removing from the nail because the glue might not be cooperative.

yeah when i remove mine i twist the body around the nail first to brake the bond then i just pull it strieght off.

yeah i glued it too.....then the thing wouldnt shape right......it was taking WAY tooooooo long for even the slightest bit of foam to be removed and then the thing started freaking spinnin again so i ripped it off and looked at it and the freaking hole was HUGE and wouldnt fit on the hook so i just threw the damned piece of trash away. what a waste of foam. im not gonna be makin any more of these for a LONG time. :angry:

yeah i glued it too.....then the thing wouldnt shape right......it was taking WAY tooooooo long for even the slightest bit of foam to be removed and then the thing started freaking spinnin again so i ripped it off and looked at it and the freaking hole was HUGE and wouldnt fit on the hook so i just threw the damned piece of trash away. what a waste of foam. im not gonna be makin any more of these for a LONG time. :angry:

believe me this happened to me but what would of happened if i just got up and quit...i would of missed out on something great...and if i would have qiut then i wouldnt of posted the step by step and other people would have missed out also...i guess the lesson here is, dont just give up because something isnt going right...keep that old saying "try try again" in your head when something like this happens...

ok now that the lecture is over, we need to find out what is going wrong. are you using super glue to glue this? and are you getting it in the crook were the nail and the foam meet? what tool are you using to shape it? are you pushing the foam all the way to the head of the nail? if it works for me, it will work for you. all those poppers i posted were done the exact way in the step by step, so if you do it the exact way it says to do it...then they will come out fine.

please dont give up or u will miss out greatly.

sniksoh

well then i guess i'll miss out an a whole bunch of good things because im not about to waste a whole bunch more of my foam for a freaking popper that isnt even going to turn out. i did everything like you did, super glue, emery board, thin nail....everything. i dont care that im missing out. if i never got to use one then i dont know what im missing and that is fine w/ me.

well then i guess i'll miss out an a whole bunch of good things because im not about to waste a whole bunch more of my foam for a freaking popper that isnt even going to turn out. i did everything like you did, super glue, emery board, thin nail....everything. i dont care that im missing out. if i never got to use one then i dont know what im missing and that is fine w/ me.

well then go ahead and give up. i cant stop you. im 1026.64 miles away.

i make em the exact way. and oatka has made a few and the turned out great.

so u must of done something wrong or else it would have worked.

but whatever you wanna do. go ahead and miss out on alot of top water action

sniksoh :nono:

(p.s. dont coplaine about wasting foam...its like 30 cents for a 8x11 sheet.)

yeah the stuff might be cheap but i dont get a chance to go out often to get some!

o and ive always wondered.....is your name really sniksoh???? if so thats a really....different name.... what nationality is that??? :huh:

its my last name bacwards...hoskins...and its american. what does dsaavedra mean?

im not gonna fight any longer so do what you want.