Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deeky

Krystal Minnow

This is another pattern for the greener, dirtier water of later summer that we get around here. A lot of sparkle there, but I think the black pearl keeps it toned down just about right.

i looked at that and my eyes lit up my jaw dropped!!!!!! you make some excellent flies!!!! but i dont have any black or brown krystal flash :( :( :( :angry:

Deeky - I too have found "krystal flash flys" very effective. Do you use one material or various materials as a body on yours?

Live2Fish

Sorry, disregard these posts, something went screwy with the computer

Live2Fish -

I've tried mixing other flash materials like flash-a-bou, but have found that using all Krystal Flash, or at least all material of the same texture, helps everything blend together into a single fly better. Maybe it's more for the fisherman than the fish, but I prefer all Krystal Flash on flies like this.

Although, check 'my patterns'. There's a pattern in there called the Magic Bullet that uses primarily Angel Hair. The pattern also calls for Flash-a-bou for the belly, but I've found I prefer the extra facets of Krystal Flash more in that fly. So, if Angel Hair is a flash material, I guess I do mix materials sometimes.

Hope all that makes sense.

Deeky

Hello deeky:

Other than Whitefish and perhaps Yellow Perch we don't really have any 'panfish' here in the Canadian hinterland, however, for several years I have been trying to use traditional baitfish (Thundercreek Minnow,Muddler Minnow etc.) imitations to catch rainbows and browns.My success has been minimal using these types. Surprisingly walleyes have at times been keen to take these flies when fished close to bottom. In any case I'll tie up a few of the Krystal Minnows for the time when the water gets soft again and put them to the test. I like flies that are uncomplicated and simple to look at and to tie and your minnow pattern does fall into that category. I can see already that I have to change some of the ingredients going into these flies because as is usual with the FLY TYING FORUM patterns, I don't have all or any of the materials required for the job.

Thanks, Luchs.