Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingtaz

Rod care

just a bit of curiosity here. How do you clean the rod, guides, and handle(cork or foam)? I've noticed some grime on a few of my rods, and was wondering how to clean em. I know you can clean fly lines, and grease the reel, but what about the rod? :help:

To clean the actual blank of the rod and the guides just use some warm soapy water and a rag. Then after you get all the dirt/grim off you can take some windex and wipe the rod down with windex. To clean the cork you want to take a bowl of warm water and add about 2 table spoons of baking soda to it and stir it up a bit. Than take a tootbrush and dip it in the water/bakeing soda mix and start scrubing the cork. Even a cork grip that is almost black from dirt will look almost brand new again after you do it like this. Remember though....let the rod sit out (outside for a bit in the sun is best) after you scrub the cork. If you put it away in the tube with the cork still damp it will get a mildew smell to the cork, so make sure it dries first.

Steve

I have also used Pledge to wipe down the flyrod and a wash cloth with just a bit of rubbing alcohol on the cork. But .. since Steve is the master, I'd probably do what he recommends.

Mike

The pledge is probably fine to use Mike, but I'd be a bit leary of useing any type of alcohol on rods. Alcohol may cause a reaction with some rod finishes so better safe than sorry.

Also I forgot to mention-dont use the windex or anything besides soapy water on a matte colored blank. It may affect the matte finish.

I only use the alcohol on the cork and that's very lightly. I also just use the Pledge on the rod and make sure to wipe it down completely with a soft cloth afterwards.

Mike

I usually just toss mine in the dishwasher :dunno:

Dustin

LOL....Mine usually falls in the river, so really no need to wash, just wipe off!! LOL

well the rods are all wiped down and looking great again. I didnt use anything but soapy water. It even helped with the casting too. the guides are smoother, and no hangups. Thnx everyone.