Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vtflyhack

Cree hackle source

Does anyone know any sources for decent cree hackle? I have looked at stockard and hook & hackle with no luck. According to Whiting they carry cree. The two shops around me are duds. I don't rerally want to chance e bay.Any info would be great.

Thanks!!!

vtflyhack

The folks at Conranch (father and daughter) raise some of the finest cree anywhere. You can call, email, or fax your name and price range. You'll be notified at harvest time. It's a first come, first serve situation. When your turn arrives, if you've changed your mind, the next person on that price range list is notified.

They sell full skins and I think they're in the $175 and up area.

509.999.7472 cell, 509.292.2141 office/fax

I used to live in Spokane and they're about 45min north. Serious feathers.

Charlie Collins,Collins Hackle Farm NY. Nice necks reasonable prices. Look him up and give him a call, a real nice guy to deal with.

flyweaver

The only problem with Denny is he has so many people asking for Cree he has a LONG waiting list.

Mike

Whatever happened to mixing brown and grizzly? I love cree just as much as everyone else but the premium they get is not worth the convenience of being able to tie an Adams with one feather...

just an alternative viewpoint.

HT

Last time I talked to Denny Conrad, he had an off color cree. The black bars were a dark dun instead of true black. Mighty nice looking feather. You might see if he has any of those.

REE

Whatever happened to mixing brown and grizzly? I love cree just as much as everyone else but the premium they get is not worth the convenience of being able to tie an Adams with one feather...

just an alternative viewpoint.

HT

I never understood that. It does not come even close to the same color. If you change the hackle on an adams to cree it is no longer an adams.

Joe Fox