Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
binfordw

One of my Adams

Just curious if I've got the hang of my proportions yet. It looks good to me, although I had to burn wings- as I really don't have any suitable hackle for them. The tips of the stuff i have are too narrow to really be worth putting on, guess I need some different stuff for it.

I tried to make the tail and wings about a shank length, and the wings at a 45 deg angle or so.

As long as it fishes proper I would be happy, but I'd like to get them near perfect, incase I ever need to give some to another fisherman or something :D

IPB Image

It looks alright, I would try to taper the body with your dubbing. you should tie one with the hackle tips you have and post it.

I'd like to see you tie one with your hackle tips too....everybody tends to have their own preference of tying but I like to use superfine dubbing on my Adams bodies & put more of a taper. I'll also put 3 wraps of hackle behind the wing & 2 in front.

Fly is nicely tied. Work on getting some grizzly Hen for you wings and maybe position them just a tad forward. Hers a couple I just cranked out to show a different wing profile, hope its helpful

post-4571-1176241111_thumb.jpg

post-4571-1176241131_thumb.jpg

post-4571-1176241170_thumb.jpg

another go tonight with hackle tips. Tried to taper the body a bit and get the wings farther forward, might just take a bit more practice to get used to.

Thanks for the tips and pics so far

IPB Image

As long as it fishes proper I would be happy, but I'd like to get them near perfect, incase I ever need to give some to another fisherman or something :D

You're kidding us, right? You can't honestly think another angler wouldn't be appreciative of either of these examples. They're both nice!

I guess I like the wings and the body on the second fly more. I think the tail on the first fly has a more "classic," slimmer look.

Nice flies. Stock up on hooks, though. You'll be giving lots away. ;)