Fly Tying
Correus

What Materials Should I Buy?

Hello!

Well, to get me started in fly tying my father has bought me the WAPSI Deluxe Fly Tying Kit ( http://www.wapsifly.com/page%2018.pdf ). I also have extra scissors, bobbins, bobbin threaders, hackle pliers, a hair stacker, bodkins and two sizes of whip finishing tools.

The kit contains everything needed to tie 17 different flies (6 of each I think). Anyway, after looking through the kit, Dad and I were wondering...what other materials should I buy?

Any thoughts? What would you consider "need to have" and "can't do with out"? There are so many different materials available out there I just don't know where to start.

:dunno: :help: :wallbash:

If it helps, I will be fishing for Trout and warm water fish such as Bass, Walleye, Crappie, etc.

I WILL NOT be fishing for salmon or salt water fish.

Thanks for all the help.

Larry in Kansas

Hi Correus,

Congrats on your acquisition! Your question is a fair one, though it will best be answered by you over time. Since you asked for some general input, I'll start by sharing some thoughts...

First, I see you have some peacock herl in your kit. Buy more. It's an invaluable material for which you'll always have a need. While you're at it, pick up some peacock sword feathers, good for tails on Zug Bugs as well as other uses.

Elk hair. For tying some effective dry flies, you'll want natural elk.

Goose biots. Get whatever colors you want, but be sure to get white and dk brown. You'll use them to tie one of today's most effective trout nymphs...the Prince Nymph.

Calf body hair (white). Works for wings on dries such as the Royal Wulff and the Lime Trude (and many others), as well as a good wingpost for parachutes.

Imitation Lemon Woodduck (dyed mallard flank feathers). Good for wings and tails on lots of standards.

Squirrel tails, both grey squirrel and red fox squirrel. You can make simple, fun and effective streamers using this hair for wings.

Extra fine wire in copper and gold. Good for reinforcing body materials and ribbing in some patterns.

Craft foam. Available cheap. There are tyers on this site that do some amazing work with this simple material.

Moose body hair (not mane). The AP Nymph was one of the first flies I tied. With moose, dubbing, and copper wire, you can create an outstanding nymph. Of course, moose has other uses as well.

Natural fur dubbings. Rabbit, muskrat, and beaver are excellent, easy to use dubbings available in both natural and dyed colors. I see what appears to be dubbing in the kit but don't know what it is. Squirrel, possum and hare's mask dubbings have lots of guard hairs which make some patterns extra buggy. Your kit should have some natural hare's mask (ear) dubbing. If not, be sure to add it.

Synthetic dubbing. I am under the impression that many new tyers struggle when trying to learn with some of the synthetic dubbings. Furthermore, some of the newer synthetics can add up ($$) when buying assortments to experiment with. Two exceptions I think are Fly Rite Poly Dubbing and standard "antron" dubbing. As you gain more skill, you may wish to experiment with some of the more recent, trendy dubbings.

Mottled turkey tail and gray goose quill make some nice wingcases on nymphs.

It looks like your kit has a supply of marabou and chenille. You'll make good use of these two materials.

If you have a source for an affordable partridge skin, that would be terrific. If not, you can buy body feathers in small packages. Unless you want to tie alot of "soft hackles" and such, there shouldn't be an immediate need for a full skin.

I won't comment on hackle. This is an area where you will want to make educated choices due to the expense. I would recommend discovering what feathers you really need first.

By browsing through the fly pattern database here, you'll be able to add more materials that are specific to the patterns you want to tie. Keeping it simple and focused will prevent you from spending too much on unneeded items. But then, we all do that in time. :D

Best of luck and "welcome". You came to the best tying site.

Larry,

Whatever you to, DON'T BUY ANYTHING ELSE!! Sell the lot, or give it to Goodwill, and take the tax deduction. Take what ever you can salvage and invest in a reputable brand of bowling ball and bowling shoes! Much less frustration, FOR YEARS TO COME!!

However, knowing you probably won't follow good advice, may I wish you "Tight threads and Bright Heads!"

Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

Here is how it is going for me. I took up fly tying about 2 months ago. I got a kit from Cabelas. I tied all the flies in the little book that it came with. Then I started looking at other flies in books and online that I wanted to tie. When the recipe called for a material I didn't have(most of them), I would add it to my wish list at one of several online sellers( J. Stockard is presently at the top of the list). Once a week or so, I make a purchase of 20 to 40 dollars. As far as essentials, I would say that a few colors of good quality hackle would be good. Also the best upgrade I have found from kit materials would have to be thread. I bought an assortment of 6/0 Uni-thread, and 3/0 Danville monocord. Good thread is so much nicer to work with.

(1) Your father is a wise man for getting you started in fly tying and fly fishing.

(2) Don't "put the cart before the horse." Don't start ordering materials you have

no idea how to use.

(3) First, get some good books on basic, beginning fly tying and "take it from there."

(4) You have to learn the basics of chess, tennis, music---almost everything---before

to start inventing things on your own.

(5) Again, start with the beginning fly tying books.

As a recent beginner myself, I would highly suggest that whatever books you buy, make sure they are spiral bound, or else lie flat with no help from you. I have decided that a simple human just does not have enough hands to tie flies as it is, without having to also hold open a book.

(GO 'WINGS!) :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Another suggestion is that you set out all materials to make sure you have what you want BEFORE you start to tie that latest discovery.

Another thing I have done is find a list on the interenet of what hatches I could expect locally, and what flies might correspond to those hatches. Then I hit my local shop and look for what I need. Lately that has resulted in my having to then go to another shop because the closest shop doesn't seem to understand the concept of "inventory control". :angry: (That or I'm always 5 minutes behind Day5).

Good Luck!

Dude buy it all now, cause 10 years down the road, you will own it anyways, this is not a hobbie, but a way of life, I still have lotsa stuff Ill never use, but I cant part with it!!!

Dustin

Sagittarius has a good point. Start with materials for some simple patterns...woolly bugger etc. and/or local patterns and then as you want to tie more patterns simply add the materials you need. This gives some structure to your purchasing which will last about, well....you'll find out. Luck......Kerry

Awesome advise so far!! The only thing I would add are HOOKS..HOOKS...and MORE HOOKS!!! I've found that this is my biggest hang up since I don't have a fly shop local to run and get what I need...

That is a GREAT kit btw...my dad got me the starter about 2 years ago!! After about 3-4months later I upgraded my vise to a Dan-vise!!

Oh one more thing....join a swap! muhauahahahahahahahahha....that will get you going as well :yahoo: :yahoo:

If you want...pm me your address and I'll send you some turkey feathers if you don't have any....I have an overabundance!!

yeah, i managed to get hooked really bad on this back in Dec 2006. yes, 4 months ago. my dad got me one of the kits from bass pro for xmas. This was only a few months after i got my first fly rod. since then i've read two or three books and have almost tied my first 12 dozen that can be thrown away :D

the hobby is really fun. i enjoy tying the flies as much as fishing. my only advice is save a little from every paycheck for supplies. inevitably you'll want to tie a pattern and not have the material. then you'll go to the fly shop to get 3 things for the fly you're working on, and end up walking out with $50 worth of extra crap. :wallbash: so it adds up quick.

.. k

im assuming since your dad bought it for you your a kid too? :dunno: im 17 and got into this about a year and a half ago

send me a PM and ill send some squirrel tails and other materials your way

For dry fly hackles you might consider starting off with some keough tyer's grade hackles. They are inexpensive and they work.

Hi. Here's my own approach to this important ?:

I think over the fly pattern or patterns that work for me and the streams I fish. I then compare the recipes of these patterns and choose those that share two or more materials. At this writing I tie using only thread, floss, deer hair, wool yarn, and pheasant tail feathers. I have developed a half dozen basic nymph, wet, soft-hackled, and streamer patterns that so far fish so good I'm not itching to expand my pattern range.

Hope this helps!

:)

The kit contains everything needed to tie 17 different flies (6 of each I think). Anyway, after looking through the kit, Dad and I were wondering...what other materials should I buy?

Any thoughts? What would you consider "need to have" and "can't do with out"? There are so many different materials available out there I just don't know where to start.

you can waste alot of money, i did. if you just buy, buy, buy, you will have a ton of stuff you dont use.

i have started back into flyfishing after a 5 year break. i realized my mistake when i first started tying. bought boutgh bought.

this is my suggestion, find what flies you want to tie first, write down the materials you will use. then buy those materials. after you have tied what you can, do it again.

if you buy a dubbing pack, you may not need all the colors, i buy seperate ones, then i buy a plano plastic holder in the fishing section at k mart, drill holes in it for a dubbing dispenser.

my point is you could waste a couple hundred dallors being overwhelmed on what u need, just take a break and list it, buy the things you need to tie 10 different types of flies, then try to mix the collors on homemade flies

jmho

dan