Fly Tying
jmkratt

Vise Suggestions?

Hey everybody.

I am in need of a new vise and am looking to upgrade from my beginner kit vise.

My only problem is that I am on a really tight budget right now and can't afford more than $100-$150. Is that to little to get a decent vise? I am still learning but wouldn't consider myself a beginner anymore by any means; however I am not pro. I would like to get a rotary vise, if possible, in that price range. I stopped by my local fly shops and was rather overwhelmed. I was hoping anyone here might have had good experiences with vises in this range and could possible recommend one?

Thanks guys!

I have the Danvise, great vise I think they are $80 from J.Stockard. Thats what I'd recomend anyway.

The dan vise is great !! BUT you can spend 125 and get a peak and use that vise FOR LIFE!!!! the dan vise is not a for life vise but a great vise at that.

I upgraded from my beginners vice to a rotary and I love it! I bought the Renzetti Traveler. Maybe a little more than you want to spend, but I picked mine up for 160$ I gaurantee you won't be disappointed.

I just upgraded from my beginner vise to a Peak and I love it!!!! I can't believe how much of a difference this new vise has already made in my tying. I have only put about 25-30 flys through it but I can already tell a difference in both the flys and my tying efficiency. A great piece of equipment in my opinion, and one that appears to be nearly unbreakable.

Just my $.02.

Terry

I second the apex anvil, I have one, and its a great little vice, and its got a life time warrenty, clamp, and pedistol, and the materials clip. great vice for the price!!! Its also tough as nails!!!!

Dustin

Hi,

It depends on what features that you are looking for. I've heard a lot of good feedback on the Dan Vise-a true rotary if you want that. For a more traditional type vise that is well-made, look at the HMH Spartan OR the HMH Silhouette. J. Stockard has them all.

Mark

See what you started!! :hyst:

Yeah, plethora of information and recommendations! Right on guys, looks like I will have to do some research on the vises mentioned here. After speaking with the local fly shops I wasn't aware that there were as many options. They all tried to sell me $500 Renzetti's - which would be nice, though too expensive for me now.

I appreciate all the help!!

I have been very happy with a Dyna King Kingfisher, it fits your price range. Tranditional vise with a rotary feature (not a true rotary), very well built.