Fly Tying
day5

Day5/red rover/seminar fly

OK I still need to figure out the head but the rest is better. Otherwise I think I hit the things that you all mentioned. The other thing I could not get right no matter how manny times I re tied and re bent and rer adjusted was the tippet wing. I just cant get it to touch the herl.

Nice job! The GP crests for the tail and topping (I hope I'm using the right terms) line up great!

From what I remember, the tippet wing doesn't touch the herl, but the black bar in the tippet lines up with the herl. I don't have my documentation here at work to double check with, but if I'm right, then you got it right on your fly.

(Ok, here's the part where I say to myself "If day5 can tie one that nice, I can do better than that!" B)

I'm no expert but for your head something that has helped me is to do what the seminar instructions said about cutting each barb at a time, starting at the back of the head and working your way forward to make the "head underbody", then what I do is take a razor blade and "smooth it out", kinda like shaping a spun deer hair bass bug. Then cover it with thread and paint it purty. I'd like to pick up a cauterizer one of these days and give that a try, but am still a little reluctant after seeing Daly's fly that caught fire a while back :lol:

Like I said, I'm no expert but here's a few things I noticed you could improve, some might just be the camera angle, others I could be off base on, but here's my .01 cent, feel free to tear mine apart when I post them tonight :lol:

-Crest is sitting a little too high

-alignment of wing tips

-that bottom strand of the GP tippet hanging down

-body hackle seems just a little too perpendicular to the shank(camera angle?)

-might be the camera angle too, but the throat looks like it's bulk is all on the near side of the hook

-the tail seems just a wee bit short(might just be me)

-it might look better if you took one more turn with the ostrich herl

-the spacing between the 4th and 5th wrap on the ribbing seems a little too far apart

-that little black thread sticking out of the head

With all that said, I think you did a hell of a job for your first ones though :headbang:

Agree with the guys. And is there a scratch from your wise on the hook? I must use some leather on mine because my wise eat hooks for dinner hehe. Great job :headbang: :headbang:

Hi Day5,

For a first go a married winged fly in my eyes is simply brilliant, I'll look forward to seeing your next one.

Wonderful job....

All the best davie

I'm no expert but for your head something that has helped me is to do what the seminar instructions said about cutting each barb at a time, starting at the back of the head and working your way forward to make the "head underbody", then what I do is take a razor blade and "smooth it out", kinda like shaping a spun deer hair bass bug. Then cover it with thread and paint it purty. I'd like to pick up a cauterizer one of these days and give that a try, but am still a little reluctant after seeing Daly's fly that caught fire a while back :lol:

Like I said, I'm no expert but here's a few things I noticed you could improve, some might just be the camera angle, others I could be off base on, but here's my .01 cent, feel free to tear mine apart when I post them tonight :lol:

-Crest is sitting a little too high

-alignment of wing tips

-that bottom strand of the GP tippet hanging down

-body hackle seems just a little too perpendicular to the shank(camera angle?)

-might be the camera angle too, but the throat looks like it's bulk is all on the near side of the hook

-the tail seems just a wee bit short(might just be me)

-it might look better if you took one more turn with the ostrich herl

-the spacing between the 4th and 5th wrap on the ribbing seems a little too far apart

-that little black thread sticking out of the head

With all that said, I think you did a hell of a job for your first ones though :headbang:

- crest I have two heads with the kit. one is as straight as an arrow the other almost curls under.

- So far Im happy with my wings but not near good with them.

- That :wallbash: bottom :wallbash: strand :wallbash: IS history!!!!!!

- Camera angle

- too much hackle (just as thick as the other side)

- Ive been a wee bit short my whole life Im learning to live with it!!! B)

- I use 2 strands of herl to do that and had just the tips in my fingers. next time ill use three???

- yea long story!!! :huh:

- the little black thread is just my artistic style I call it my "rustic period" :hyst:

thanks for the help guys!!!!!!!!

- I use 2 strands of herl to do that and had just the tips in my fingers. next time ill use three???

My butts look like crap, but they really look like crap when I use less than 4 pieces of herl

a great tie. the crest thing? many of these tippet winged style fly's don't have crest assembled that touch or align exactly so i think this is a personel prefereance to the tier of the pattern. you did a great job and i won't get into a bunch of critiqes. we all tie differently and i don't expect any of you to do thingd that i prefer but would rather you all develope your own styles. again, nice tie

Bud

Nice job Day5. But are you sure your daughter didn't tie that for you? I didn't think you had this much talent. B)

Keep up the good work.

One of the tricks I use on the head (from Radencich's DVD) is to put a bit of head cement on the head area before you go cutting all the loose fibers. Seems to work pretty good. If figure if he can do it then it isn't cheating. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Great work on this one Matt.

The head cement might be cheating but you can't make me stop! :)

Very good!! For your first married wing, that is a very good start!! Wow

Well no wonder my herl butt looks so weak. I was using 1 strand Doh! :wallbash:

Hey- looks great

-E