Fly Tying
threadbear

Threadbear - Red Rover- CSS

Where to start. Every time I try to fix one thing I mess up another. My first the tail was too short and the wing too high which caused the fly to have a "stubby" appearance. I can now see that after it was pointed out by Dave. So I took that to heart and over cooked my response on the second but learned a lot on both. I can see for me the biggest challenge will be to develop the eye for proportions and the discipline necessary not to try to rush thru the steps towards completion. All of my tying prior to this has been to replace flies lost during the previous days fishing before getting to bed and I need to eliminate that mindset. Have at it guys. There are lots of aspects that need work. Thanks and don't be timid. post-10107-1176904215_thumb.jpg post-10107-1176904349_thumb.jpg

Man, if these are your first two I can't wait to see what you'll be tying in the future :headbang:

Looking at the first one, the areas I see room for improvement are

-at first I wanted to say the tail seems a little too short, and the wing is too high. But the overall shape of the wing looks pretty good versus the hook so I'm scratching my head :lol: Maybe cause I like flies that are a little top-heavy :dunno:

-the wing looks like it's just a smidge too far forward in relation to the front of the throat

-the JC seems a little low, but I think that's partly due to the wing being a little high

-I don't know if it's another one of those personal preference things but to my eye, it looks weird that the last wrap of ribbing isn't closer to the back edge of the throat

-the ostrich is a little sloppy

-the tips on the GP tippets look a little out of alignment with one another

The second looks much better, I find myself wanting to take the wing from the second and mount it on the body of the first though

-the front edge of the wing is out in front of the front edge of the collar

-the body doesn't appear to have much taper

-the tag is just a little too far forward(just a little)

-the tips of the wing are a little low in relation to the tips of the tail

-the body hackle could use a little brushing

Take all these with a grain of salt, I'm just a beginner too

Hi threadbear,

What can I say but just excellent, both flies beautifully tyed throughout and photographed perfect.

Well done....

All the best Davie

holy crap, i can't believe the flies coming off this siminar. some, as these, are so well done. congrats guys

hats of to the mentors and participants

Bud

Excellent. Pretty damned good for a guy who is used to tying a few wraps on a size 18 fly. :D

Can't wait for the next ones.

Jeff

Bill,

As I have already told you in e-mail, you are a natural and I cannot wait to see how you progress from here. Great work from a photography and tying standpoint. You may not be very good with your e-mail but everything else seems to look easy. :)

Don't feel bad my first tail was way to long so I tried to do a shorter one

acording to what the hook gap was and now tthe tail and topping don't meet

etc.. LOL :D

Go look at mine and then look at yours again..You should be very proud to frame

and keep these...I may not know what I'm doing but, I do know a nice tie when

I see it! :blink:

VEE