Fly Tying
bigdan

Bigdan / Red rover- CSS

So there it is, my 3rd attempt, trying to correct the things brought up by the mentors,

IPB Image

Nice job, I think overall it looks pretty good. You really did a great job on the ostrich :headbang:

The head looks just a teeny weeny bit big in relation to the body, but looks great nonetheless, and the body has a nice taper to it. Also looks like you showed that GP tail who's boss. :headbang:

The things that stand out at me that could be improved are

-the topping could have stayed closer to the wing a little longer

-the tag has no taper(is that one of those personal preference things?)

-From the Red Turkey up on the wing looks a little long compared to the wing from the dark Turkey down, but that might just be an optical illusion from the spot on the wing tips coming unmarried between the red turkey and the dark turkey

-that one stray barb on the tail

-the JC seems a little long to my eye, but I think you're still within tolerance

Hi bigdan,

Another wonderful tying of the Red Rover, lovely proportions and cleanly tyed.

Excellent....

All the best Davie

another great tie. i believe the mentors need to make a small tutorial about manipulationg toppings into shape. the flies posted are great but many seem to have that same high set topping and the cause of this is not shaping the topping to conform closer to the wing shape. they seem to be lifted but the shoulder of the main wing.

as all the others, nicely done and keep up the good work

Bud

Thank you all!! For Alex, my problem with the toppings is, well i think, when i prepared them, i dried them on a too small diameter tube, so they have too much of a curve, and can't uncurved them more than that.

For the taper, well since the body is made of wool,wich add a lot to the thickness of the body, i did a very slow starting taper to prevent the body from being too fat at the butt, a problem encountered on my first try.

The suggestion made by Bud about toppings would be great!! I manage to get a nice hump with the wing with the tips not to tapered, but when i struggle with the topping.... well you see the results..the wing goes down at the head, the tips go up and tapers, that is so frustrating!!

That toppings destroyed, well i destroyed, the two wings i had mounted on my fourth fly, i gave up for today, we'll see tomorrow, hopefully..

Keep pluggin', Dan. Toppings give me fits, too. Your Rover looks pretty darned good, even if there is a stray crest fiber or two.

John

Looks fantastic, Dan.

Is that a hook you got in the kit or a different one? Mine were more curved (OK, one of you gurus tell me the name of the hook shapes...)

-E

That is not the hook supplied to the fully involved participants.

The hook supplied with the packets was a Partridge CS 10/3 2/0 with about 3/8" removed from the shank and retapered.

The spey will have a standard CS 10/3 2/0 and the later flies will use Sprite 2/0 as they are nearly identical to the shortened hooks sent with the first set.

The hook is a Gaelic Supreme Pryce-Tannat rational 3/0 that i got from

feathersmc.

Very well tied. The previous comments catch most of the minor things I see. Cracking fly, as Mr. Carne might say.

Leigh