Fly Tying
Alex C.

Alex C./Red Rover/CSS

My first is the top one. You can see I trimmed just a little bit off the tips of the GP Tail in the wing since they wouldn't marry together. That was from the best portion of the GP Matt sent so Charles suggested I give the GP Tail a Woolite bath before building the next wing so I did and it didn't come out any better. So instead of using the dark Turkey as a Bustard sub, I used real Bustard, then used the dark Turkey as a GP Tail sub.

Check out the up-curving JC on the top fly, talk about kicking yourself in the butt :lol:

So here they are! I see one of the GP Tippet fibers is out of place. I think that happened when I layed the fly down though cause they looked good beforehand.

What's up with this real Bustard stuff? We're supposed to be beginners, remember? biggrin.gif

Kori looks awesome when you use it for biot body nymphs and dry flies :D

Alex. the bottom fly could have used a bit longer wing. the bottom fly also has a JC eye that turns upward. i think if you had tied it in as long as the upper fly you would have seen the same problem with the JC. i prefer the top fly and all in all you did a great job. love the bodies

Bud

To be such a pain in the butt you do tie nice flies. :)

You already know how much I like these flies and also what we need to work on moving forward. Nice picture also!

Hi Alex!! The body taper on the top one is very nice!! Pretty flies!!

Thanks for all the nice remarks. :cheers:

I think the biggest thing I learned from this first part of the CSS is to be more patient before posting my flies. I'm usually all pumped up to share whatever it is I've tied and in my rush I'll miss things I could have fixed and kick myself in the butt for it later. Yet it's kind of a catch 22 cause the more time that passes after tying something, the more any errors I made will bother me to the point that I didn't want to post them at all. If I didn't have to post them, I wouldn't have. After the pic was taken I brushed out the wing on the bottom one, just to see why you needed to brush the wings before mounting. It was actually a pain in the butt trying it after the wing was already on, cause the wing kept trying to remarry itself :lol: I tested the strength of the gut and I think it will hold for a fish or two so I'm gonna stick it in my Bass box.

Something else I'd really like to do is start tying full dressed flies to actually fish for salmon with. I've been planning a box of speys and nice hairwings anyways, but now I think a box of full dressed featherwings would be pretty fun to fill and fish with. I give all of the "nice" flies I tie away anyways so why not give a few to the trees :lol:

Another thing I learned is that flollowing the "rules" will make me a better tyer wether I like it or not.(I don't :lol: )

To be such a pain in the butt you do tie nice flies. smile.gif

:hyst: :D

You, Dave, and Charles were very helpful and I really appreciate your email critiques. I'm really looking forward to the Spey lessons coming up, and to being a pain in the butt ;)

It's amazing how you see things when you photograph the flies that you don't notice in real life. Very nice job. This is a great start on a long journey.

Leigh