Fly Tying

Ridderbos3/ Red Rover. CSS

Well guys, here it is. And after reading the stuff posted on to others flies I have to say I am a bit nervous about submitting this one. My Gp tail was ruined so I substituted Peacock wing quill for it. My wing is sitting a bit cockeyed, and the head is not nearly as small or as smooth as I would like it to be

Fire away!IPB Image

IPB Image

BTW, the wing is not as wide as it looks, the extra height is the wing on the opposite side that you can see.

john

What the hell do you mean they are upside down, was it not peacockl, dark turkey, red turkey then GP tail, from the bottom up?

Upside down Crap mine might be to. But I still do not know which feather was witch so I just guessed. nice fly john the body is killer you did great!!!! lol!

What the hell do you mean they are upside down, was it not peacockl, dark turkey, red turkey then GP tail, from the bottom up?

It think he means you have your GP Tail and Peacock mixed up

i'm so impressed by your fly, i can't believe the progress you guys have made and don't knock yourself down. we all make a few small mistake even after we have been tying for ages. you did a wonderful job and look forward to seeing more from you thru the siminar program

well done

Bud

No, I am fine. I just was floored when I was told my wing was upside down. Maybe it is, I dont think so, but what do I know.

john

Great first fly. Looking forward to the next ones.

Don't sweat the mistakes in the beginning. If you're learning, and more importantly, having fun, then it will all fall into place.

Jeff

Hi John: If I'm not mistaken, I think Dave C was referring to the downward sweep of the tips of your wings which normally have a natural upward curvature. This indicates that you placed the farside wing on the side closest to you. Although you will see this done ocassionally with some classic wet flies, it's simply not done with the Classic Salmon despite it's aesthetic appeal. When you place a turkey feather down on the table, it should bulge slightly up towards you, this means the most pronounced part of the rachiis will be underneath. There is often subtle shine and color changes between the sides also. The right side(as you face it) will produce the barbs for the farside wing. Maybe this is what Dave was talking about.

DaveG