Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

lake of the woods

im going to lake of the woods on june 1st through the 4th and i was wodering if anyone has any good patterns for this lake...i want to get some pike...do bass flies work good for them? if you do give me a pattern please state what colors you would tie it in...

thanks,

sniksoh

I've never fished Lake of the Woods, but I have fished up in Michigan's UP which is chock full of Pike and Bass.

Anything that looks like a fish will work. Bring an 8wt and a bunch of streamers, poppers, and sliders that are between 3" and 5" long and you'll pull double duty for Pike and Bass all day. If you're lucky you might end up tangling with a Muskie or a Walleye. If you want to target a monster Pike or Muskie, bring a 10wt and some giant footlong streamers.

Pike aren't picky so specific pattern probably won't be too critical. If I were you I'd bring some of the following: Clousers, Deceivers, Bucktail style streamers, EP fiber flies, Zonkers, and Bugger style flies, etc... Typical bass streamers will work just fine.

As for colors, Perch and Firetiger are killer up in the UP and I have no reason to suspect that shouldn't be the case at Lake of the Woods. I'd bring some natural shad colors too just in case.

And don't forget the bite guard. It would suck if you hook into a good Pike and its teeth break you off.

What dafack01 says is entirely on the mark. You could certainly tie some of your poppers, but maybe add a real long tail on them. Maybe a tail like on the disco worms. Say a red foam popper head, or turn it around and make it a snake, pointy tip forwards, with a long yellow or chartreuse disco worm style furled body and tail. Minnesota regulations state only one hook is permitted when fishing, unless using a lure, then this is considered one hook, regardless if it has a set of treble hooks or whatever, but it doesn't explicitly say anything about multiple hooked flies or multiple hooked tube fly rigs, so I'd call the MN DNR for that answer if you want more than a single hook in your flies. It does mention that up to three flies can be used on trout, crappies, sunfish, and rock bass though.

Here's the regulations, although most any Holiday station will have them too. As well as licenses of course.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulatio...fishing2007.pdf

Last year at that time that you're going there are reports that smallmouth bass were finishing up their spawn about then.

I've heard Pike and Musky hit on rattle traps, the big versions.

You could make a fly like a Dahlberg Diver or something simpler but equally as effective using foam for the head in colors like black and silver, black and gold, yellow and red, chartreuse, black, etc.

Sounds like a fun trip!

--cutthroat.trout

All good suggestions. Bass flies will work but make sure to have plenty of larger baitfish patterns. Simple is better, pike tend to mess up your flies quick. I still tie up some fancy flies just to pass time over the winter. One often overlooked fly for pike is the whistler. Standard red or yellow are good. And simple white bunny flies often save the day for me. Dont know what wt rod you plan on using so a few tips. size can help and hinder your efforts, just go as big as you can comfortably handle with whatever outfit your using. Tie a couple different patterns up and try them before you waste time (money) making too many that cant be cast effectively. Also try using the belgium cast. Keeps from getting hit in the back of the head. :( Like dafack01 said bite guards. To me this means wire, I wouldn't even bother with heavy mono or flouro. If you are not familiar with pike setups I can post more on simple leader/bite guard setups. I use the twist melt leader method. Level leaders work but a simple taper will help esp with lighter rods. I wouldn't go lower than 8wt fo that lake. My 6wt exploded on me trying for pike. Been using 8wt but spend all summer targeting pike so i just bought a 10wt. This time of year I'd use a floating line and look for shallow bays with dark bottoms that will warm up quicker. Sorry for being long winded, I just love fishing pike and I'm just getting all excited to get out, all the lakes around me are still frozen (except superior of course), with only the rivers flowing. Good luck!