Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brewer

Brewer/red rover#2/css

heres my second, i could talk about what went wrong...but whats the point, (i could go on and on), so ill say what went right :D , tippets came out much better than the first. im getting better at manipulation, and not mutilation. my wing meets the throat, (this was huge for me). the head on my second didnt finish up on the gut, although my head cement bled.

the wing, ahhhh the wing. it had a great shape, and almost met the topping..k, ill say what went wrong here....when i trimmed the butts, i pulled the bottom two marries towards the head....anyways, first is first, second is second.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Mike;

Very, very, very fine job. Just some tweaking. WOW

DaveG

Lovely Mike!!!!!!!.......................wait...............Mike isn't lovely, the fly is!!!! :hyst: :headbang:

To cure the problem with the wing, hold to the wing with your left hand (if you're right handed of course) and trim just a few barbs at a time. If you try to hack it all off at once, bad things can happen. If you don't hold the wing, bad things can happen.

I think that the second one is a great improvement. We have all gotten a little carried away while trimming at one time or another. The best trick I have found is to trim a couple strands at a time with my right hand while holding the base of the wing with my left hand. You could hump the wing while in place as it sits and add a bit more arch and fill that space between the wing and the topping. Great work!

Sign in to follow this