Fly Tying
Kayakfish

Registering a Proven Fly Pattern

The best way to link your name to a fly pattern that you yourself have developed is to get it published first in a magazine. That way, down the road, people can always point back to that article and see that you were the first to make the pattern public.

This is also far cheaper and easier than going through the patent process.

Aside from going the Umpqua route and making a few dollars to buy a pack of hooks, the best way guarantee your name is associated with a fly is to publish it in print. Having something in print(IMPORTANT! not the web) and being able to prove that you published first is your best defense. If its worth protecting, it surely must be worth publishing in print. It sounds like an oxymoron, but its crazy how that seems to work. In print, editorial scrutiny is still practiced to some degree, passing that scrutiny also legitimizes your efforts. On the web, well...anyone can publish anything, not much editorial scrutiny to speak of.

I dont blame you for wanting recognition for creating a pattern that works well. I think the idea of registering a fly is great, it says that you created it. I am not sure how the registered pattern process works, or much about it. I am interested to see the fly, and find out what steps you have taken to register it.

There is something I never thought about, and that's Fly fishing &Tying Journal's Patent Patterns Contest. The magazine is no longer available here, but as I was looking through the mag section today I thought about the contest, (I dont even know if they have the contest anymore.)

Jim Schollmeyer used to run the contest, you might want to contact him, he might have some info for you.

Jim Schollmeyer, Attn: Patent Patterns

P.O. Box 20925

Salem, Oregon

:D I would like to thank all of you who have given me suggestions of the pattern and what might help to establish where the fly came from, I am in the process of contacting several editors of the fly and we will see if it gets a look. It may not and if it doesnt oh well i tried to keep the big money man at bey. Thanks

In my opinion :lol:

Okay, you came up with a fly that works well where you fish. That's awesome. It's easy to get caught up in the hope that you've created the next Adams. The first thing I would do is tie a few and send them to reputable (the more reputable the better)guys to field test them for you and give you some feedback on it. You never know, maybe a material on the fly doesn't have enough movement, etc. That's the kind of feedback you'll get and 6 months down the road your fly may have evolved a little more. Or maybe when fished by people without a biased opinion you'll find your fly isn't what you thought it was. Maybe for some reason it doesn't work very well in other geographic areas. Or you may find that your fly has already been invented and you didn't even know it.

In the long run you and your fly will be better for it.

I wouldn't bother patenting it, I think people who patent flies are silly. But getting it published is a good idea if you want to have the credit for it's design. Only problem with that is once your pattern is out there, anyone can tie it. Including the "big money". But again, flies that work well for panfish are pretty easy to come by.

Keep contacting editors, if that doesn't work out contact Al Beatty([email protected]). He writes a column in Fly Fish America that showcases flies such as yours. Another option is to contact writers. Some(actually all) fly fishing mags give preference to writers who already have their name out there. And writers are always looking for something to write about.

I have gotten some inquireies from a couple of magazines now and am just waiting to see what they do with it, will let you all know when it comes in. Thanks for the help, and support.