Fly Tying

Wow, I've been reading several discussion boards tonight and learned something amazing.... it appears, according to fly fishermen everywhere, that Mustad fly hooks are just crap. That's a bummer because for what, almost 30 years, I always thought they were great. :dunno:

lots of people say they are crap but I havent had a problem with them and their cheap so im gonna stick withem no matter what anyone says

I've read the same over and over as well...and I don't believe it.

I've landed more fish on Mustad hooks than all others I have tied on combined, mostly because I'll admit I have such a stock of Mustad hooks, and as such have a hard time justifying buying replacements for hooks that simply work.

I wonder if some people's opinions are possibly based on using the wrong hook for the job, which is so easy to do with Mustad hooks because they have such an extensive catalog, and sometimes it's a little cryptic on hook uses.

While I can value the opinion that some have, which is time spent tying might as well be spent tying on better hooks, when used in their proper place, I haven't had issues with Mustad hooks for trout and warmwater fly fishing.

When I can land large carp and small pike often on a somewhat flexible trout streamer hook in a 3XL shank I don't think there's any real issues.

I will say I like the features of more premium hooks, the barbs are smaller, which leads to better pinch downs, the wire is sometimes harder, which has it's pros and cons. I tend to prefer Mustad's bronze finish over other finishes though.

--cutthroat.trout

We have been using Mustad since after WWII because Allcock was bombed and they never rebuilt. It has been very rare to have a bad hook. A few eyes that are open a hair but thats about it. If you are knocking Mustad you need to knock Partridge since they are made in the same place now. Use what ever works, most hook brands are now top notch, just watchout for no name brands, we have had a little bad luck when trying them.

Joe Fox

I just got back into tying after several years.

Thanks for all the input re Mustad hooks. My supply's not large but adequate for what I started to tie.

I personally have never had a problem with mustad hooks. I use them for sea trout, browns/brookies, atlantic salmon and small mouth bass(in Ontario). I do not think I have ever sacrificed quality or landing percentage while using Mustad hooks. I am really careful when I pinch down my barbs, but I have never had a salmon hook break in the process.

Although once in a few packs, I come across an open eye or a not completed hook. (the last time was in a pack of sz 16 nymph hooks I found a size 18 or 20 light wire dry hook without the eye formed... just flattened)

Im hooked on Mustad hooks. Their salmon hooks are a great deal. I dont know why I would spend $15 for 10 hooks, when I can buy great quality hooks for half the price.

Phil the "no beef with mustad" Milley

Oh I wasn't knocking Mustad... just the opposite. I continually fail to realize that sarcasm doesn't come across the internet very well.

I found it humorous that so many high-end, holier-than-thou types were saying that the only hooks that are worth even looking at are Tiemcos, Daiichis, and the other boutique brands. Mostly these appeared to be the same guys who NEED to buy new $600 waders and $1K rods each year because they seem to have an "image" to maintain. No doubt the bling-bling hooks are good hooks, great even, and I've used some of them. Not many though.

I'll just say I've NEVER had a Mustad fly hook cause me to lose a fish- and I've lost a LOT of fish!

I have been reading the posts and I have to agree Mustad does make a great hook. I am 49 and have been raised on the quality and price of the Mustad. Yes, I do occassionally get a unfinished hook, but that is not so often as to justify paying 3 times as much unless I am seeking a specalized hook. I do not tie for show, I tye working hooks to be used and not displayed and the coating and the shine is not that important to me, functionallity and relibality is. Mustad has never let me down on either. Now, I will have to say over the years I have made the incorrect choice of hooks for the job I was tying for and that has caused poor hook performance, but that was the fault of the tyer and not the hook.

Mustad does make a lot of different type of hooks and some times that can cause and ill choice on behalf of the tyer. For example, I purchase alot of live bait cricket hooks for resale (crickets are big to Crappie in Tennessee). A few years ago some got mixed up in my box, in part with the help of my daughter, welll gotta blame someone and she is not here watching me type.

I had lost my last purple and black size 8 DeerHair Streamer, (attack of the Killer Trees). So I tied two replacements in a rush, and on the 3rd cast hooked a nice smallie and when he went airborn I lost him and too my dissmay when I checked the fly he had straightened out my hook. The fine wire Cricket hook just could not hold such a fighter. As I said at times our choices we make on hook selection sometimes cause unwanted results.

Whatever hook brand you use, choose the one you are comfortable with and the one you trust. Hooks can be like cars when you ask people for their opinions, we all have our favorite and some will not waiver from their trusted brand. Use what works for you!!

Jeff

I use Mustads for my flies with the exception of Atlantic Salmon flies on 36890 hooks. I dislike the return loop on Mustad as it is not tapered just cut off abruptly . This tends to create more bulk when I want this part of the body to taper off............Frank

I have to agree and of course this is repetative for me, I have posted the same thing in other threads. I use a little of the others as well, some manufacturers do make a few unique hooks with merit. This winter I tied alot of flies, several hundred anyway (lots for me) and found one deformed eye.

I won't knock anybody's hooks they all work well. :)

Good Day,

I too have never had a problem with Mustad hooks. I also agree with an earlier statement about using the right hook for the job. I don't care who makes the hook, do not use a light wire nymph hook and expect to land a 12 pound steelhead.

Steelie

I'm using Mustad hooks that I bought 32 years ago. Takes a while to use up 100 of the same size. Only thing I have to do now is give the points a lick ot two on a hard black stone and they are just as sharp as Temico. My observation is that the Japanese hooks have a nicer overhall finish but since I'm covering most of the hook with a thread base I'll stick with Mustad, at least for now.