Fly Tying

Hi All,

Joined yesterday, first post today….

Been fly tying for two months using very low cost equipment. I now find I am becoming addicted therefore wish to purchase a better vice and some top quality tools.

The most expensive vice I have found is a Renzetti Master Vice.

Question, is it the best or is it hype? Is it really worth the cost? huh.gif

There are many extremely well made vises available, I don't think I'd pay 600.00 for one though. After all they are just hook holders, right? I think you'd be better served going to a fly tying show in your area and trying out some of the best they have and seeing which one works better for your style of tying. I know of many expensive vises that I personally don't care for, just because they are expensive doesn't mean they'll work well for you. Look at the Dyna-Kings, Renzetti, Griffon, Regal, etc. and tie some fly's with each. You'll find one that suits you best, Good Luck.

The most important thimg in my opinion is cam-lock jaws. They hold the hook without slipping or flying free. Other than that, vises go from $15 to $500 and the only difference is $485. cool.gif

Regal, DynaKing, Griffin, Apex, HMH, Peak; search this and other web boards for threads on vise preference.

Welcome Aboard, Good Luck!

My only advice would be to definitely get one with "true" rotary like the Renzetti's have. I have a Traveler and tie a TON of flies. I need nothing more. I have, however, tied on enough other vises, stationary and rotary, to know that "true" rotary is the way to go. There are plenty of manufacturers out there now that have "true" rotary. Remember, some vises may be rotary vises, but they aren't true rotary. For instance, Griffin makes rotary vises. However, some are not true rotary and others are. The Griffin Odyssey, for instance, is but the Patriot is not.

Renzetti is good and "true" rotary but it's not the only one.

Keep in mind, "true" rotary means when the hook shank spins in line on it's axis when the rotary is engaged. On a rotary vise that does not have "true" rotary, the hook shank rotates in more of an eliptical motion and is more difficult to tie on.

With all that said, like everyone else, I say go tie on every vise you can find. Any good shop worth it's salt will let you try the vises before you buy them. If they don't, they aren't worth buying the vise from. Take your business elsewhere.

Just me $.02.

Brinx

The most important thimg in my opinion is cam-lock jaws. They hold the hook without slipping or flying free. Other than that, vises go from $15 to $500 and the only difference is $485.

That's good advice by Troutbum, and if I saw this question 3 days ago I would have told you the same exact thing. This past weekend I visited the midwest fly fishing expo here in the Detroit area and got to see a guy demonstrate the virtues of tying behind the Nor-Vice. WOW. That is a cool machine. It's pricey, to be sure, but if your in the markett for a high priced vice that's the only one I'd consider. Other than that I'd say save yourselfe a ton of doe and get a cheap Griffon.

http://members.ij.net/danscustomflys/Nor-ViseConcept.html

Al

One other huge difference vise to vise is how well they hold hooks of various sizes.

Try and figure out your hook range. For me its 28 to 10/0 so far just because I fish for trout and I love me them sharks.

Bring the biggest and smallest hook with you when you go shopping - the instruction you can get from a fly shop will easily cover any savings you can get from ebay - plus its the gift that keeps on giving.

True Rotary is nice. Like most tools you can do without it but once you have it you will miss it if its gone.

I think its cheaper over the long haul to buy one vise that suits all your needs than two or three.

In the demo on the Nor I saw the guy tied 8/0-28's. I'm sure it could have gone bigger, but that's what the dude had on-hand. It''ll do the trick. You may have to see this thing to belive me. The guy I saw the show with (Sawcat) has a Rinzetti, and he was ammazed. Yup, it's that nice.

If I'm ever in the market any time soon to replace the cheap-ass vise I still tye on, I know what I'm gonna' buy. In my opinion, if you spend more than $100 on a vice and don't end up with a Nor,.....well, you probably could have spent your money more wisly. Buy a cheapy for now and save your money. I'm tellin ya'.........

Al

I have looked at the Nor-vise several times and almost ordered one, but for detailed patterns I can't see the benefit. Sure it can whip out 30 buggers an hour, but I prefer more clearance between the base and the vise and between the jaw and the spindle.

I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it.

I love my Presentation 4000, but it's overkill.

Gotta agree with Shoe on this one. I've seen the demos of the Nor-Vise as well and they're great for speed but just didn't like the ergonomics for the smaller detailed stuff. I came away thinking it would probably be a better salt water vise - not my thing.

I also have the Renzetti Presentation 4000 and it's a great vise but is a bit pricey. The Regal vises are nice as well - great hook holding ability but you don't have true rotary.

Try some first and then form your own opinion.

Bamboo

Well, I looked long and hard when it came down to my vise. Since I used to do production tying, and now only do clientele tying. So not cranking out a couple hundred a day anymore.

I tried most. The norvise is very nice, especially if you're production tying. Really speeds things up. I liked the renzettis as well. But loved the dynakings, looked much better made then the renzettis. Then, I started price shopping. Called companies direct. I opted never to buy renzetti again, only because of some person things that happened when dealing with them. Have their tube vise, last product I'll have. Went with Dynaking Barracuda. At the time, the Norvise had slippage problems on big hooks. Which I tie alot on. But has been fixed, so may buy one soon. If you're only doing occasional tying, you don't need anything fancy. There is no need. But, before one buys a renzetti, they should look at the Barracuda Junior Trekker. Just a downsized version of the full sized Cuda. Have best jaws on market IMHO. Nice, especially if you're cranking on the hook making wogs, and any other spun hair bodied fly.

But, nice thing for me, Dynaking and Norvise are very friendly to professional tyers. My big pull to both. They both went out of their ways to make me feel wanted and to set my commercial accounts with them. Some of the others pretty much told me to find a flyshop somewhere and to call only if I needed directions to one. So, I'll stick where I get good service.

Oh yeah, if any of you are in market for one of the two I mentioned, let me know. Norm with Norvise is one helluva guy. Will talk your ear off on the phone.

I've got a Dyna King and love it. But I saw a new vice made by or called "Cobra". Not sure about it or how well it will work but I love the design and the looks of it. Just another one of those impulsive things I guess.

The Don