Fly Tying

I've talked to a few people that had "issues" with getting the hooks hold right in the grooved jaws of the Dyna-kngs. How did you get passed that?? I'm looking to upgrade from my traveler this year and have been looking at the Dyna-kings Barracuda and Barracuda JR. and the Renzetti 4000 and Masters.

The Norvice was really pretty cool to watch but I wasn't real big on how it positioned my left hand for tying anything other than streamers. Kind of uncomfortable with that straight barrel and I don't see the point in buying the extra angled jaw assembly for another $86 to make it more comfortable and then need to take the time to switch between the two for tying stuff like buggers. Now if I could buy two???? hmmmm rolleyes.gif

Lance:

There are two grooves or more like notches. I only use those fore larger hooks. Most of my tying is 10 and up and I grab the hook in the tip of the jaw ahead of the grooves. It's adjustable and I have never had a problem holding any hooks. I would like a clamo on model thouugh as mine is on a base. I think being able to adjust the height would be great. However, I have one of these antique desks that I use as my work station (sorry Mom) and I close it up when not in use so the base type works well. I can't leave anything out or the dogs deivse methods to get into my supplies.

Thank God they can't fashion tools.

The Don

Don,

I have a Cobra vise, it's made by Thompson by the way. I also own a Dynaking Kingfisher. I bought the Cobra for Atlantic Salmon flies, the DK was harsh on the Japanned finish of the hooks I use. I use the DK for saltwater flies, especially Clousers. The design of the Cobra is unsuited to tying a Clouser, it is for me anyway. The Cobra is very good for small hooks and trout flies and it is a true rotary.

The downside for the Cobra is the uncertain future of Thompson. If I ever need parts, I may be screwed.

Everyone has given you some good advise but I will add my 50 cents worth.

AS I ONLY tie saltwater and bass flies, my opinion is slanted in those directions but, The Dyna King wins hands down for tying these flies. I have 4 of them. My personal vise has a two digit serial number and the only thing that I have every done to it is putting a little grease on the shaft. I have never even replaced the "o" rings and this vise has tied thousands and thousands of flies.

When we were tying commercially, I bought several more for my wife, son and the others that tied for me.

In the saltwater/bass realm, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the vise holding the hook although you might have a problem with hooks smaller than a size 10 but they are different size jaws for the Dyna King.

The Dyna King is easy to operate and you cannot pull the hook out of the jaws.

The Renzetti is a great vise but, personally, I did not like it for commercial tying. I had to continually adjust it, it would not hold a hook securely, the jaws moved and I had to change the setup every time I changed hook sizes. On top of that, I had to attach the Clouser attachment to tie Clousers. That was not practical for what I was doing.

True rotary is nice in some cases, but, again, in saltwater, I do not see the need for the "True".

If you are going to be tying a lot of small flies (trout) then you really need to use different vises to see which one you like the best.

You can do a Goggle search and find all of the information you want on these vises, but it is like taking a test drive in a car. You really do not know until you do it.

Take this information into consideration but it is you that has to be comfortable with what you are using. What works for one does not necessarily work for others.

Simpler is better in that you do not have as much that can go wrong.

Mozes suggested I look at Vise Reviews so I did…………………The article concluded:-

The LAW Bench

This is the finest all-around vise available today. It performs its function with an elegance and simplicity that no other vise matches. At £350 (about $525), the vise is within the highest price range of those currently available, but you get what you pay for.

Question........Would anyone agree with the above? smile.gif

I don't know Salty, $500 for a vise is a lot of money. I have heard some nice things about that vise, but I don't know anyone who owns one.

I think the important thing to remember is that you don't have to mortgage the farm to get a quality vise. If you were going to be a commercial tyer, you may be able to justify the price, but in terms of production tying I'm told that the Nor-Vise is tough to beat.

My most expensive vise is $150 and my flies turn out just fine. An expensive vise is not going to make you a better tyer, only practice does that.

I get a headache just reading that a vise (vice) can remotely be considered to be so "good" it commands that high a price tag!!! IMO, That's CRAP!!! - but I know I'll get flak for the comment - no prob...

In re: vises <$200 U.S. there are plenty of names- doesn't have to be a Marryat or DynaKing or the dreaded "R" word-

I can't pull hooks out of my Apex Anvil's, my Regal or even my ancient Thompson Ultra or 'A' series units- I sure as hell can bend and break hooks in any of them- but I can't, or maybe won't, being a parsimonious Yankee tightwad, SPEND that kind of money to get a function in a tool that may be as easily obtained in a different manufacturers' less expensive, equally capable TOOL! (cranky Yankee common sense).

Shop it around -

I've used the Renzetti series of vises for years, but I have to say that I've moved on to Dynaking. There were just too many hook slippage problems with the Renzettis (even the Presentation and Masters that I tried), but not so with the Dynaking Barracuda. And it's true rotary.

To each their own, but for the amount of tying that I do over the course of a year a $300 vise is a sound investment.

I just recieved my new vise today decided on HMH have not tied on it yet but will do so after I write this. I can't stand to tie on true rotory vises: too many parts in the way or something is always moving when I don't want it too. I have tied on an old Renzette starter vise, with the round knob on the end, for 10 years. I guess what I am saying is each tyer has his own style pick a vise that matches you, if you have the bucks to drop 500.00. what the heck, have fun with it and it will work great for you.

Not very impressed with the HMH. I tied a dozen size 4 agrivators yesturday,too much hook slipage and too hard too put the pressure on to keep it from slipping.

I guess I will put it up on the shelf for sale. I have some Dynakings coming in this week maybe that will be the ticket.

I would suggest spending around $170 on the cam jaw Renzetti Traveler. Then spend the remaining $330 on materials.

I have been tying with the Renzetti for years and have never had a problem with hook slippage. I will break my thread before I move the hook.

Todder, what type of flies do you tie? The Renzettis were okay for me with most freshwater flies, but pike and saltwater flies requiring larger hooks just slipped under tension, no matter how far I adjusted the gap of the jaws. And God help me if I needed enough tension to spin deer hair....

Just wondering.

HFT- As far as true rotary vises and things moving when you don't want them to, most have tension knobs and/or adjusters that can lock the arm in place so that things won't move on you when you don't want them to.

DH- All freshwater flies. Mostly dry flies, but I have spun hair for streamer heads like Madonnas and Muddlers without a problem.

I have to agree with Dbl Haul on his assessment of the traveller cam vise. #2-28 no problem, bigger than #2 or deer hair you have to really crank down on it.