Fly Tying
dsaavedra

BLUEGILL HELP NEEDED BAD!!!!!!!

ok. so the pond in the woods that i fish now has 40 some bluegills in it. well my friend that i fish with down there always SMOKES me down there. i dont mind cuz i use artificial stuff (lures and flies) but he uses bread. so its a givin he will catch more. but still.....i cant even catch bluegill down there on a foam spider! thats like the ultimate gill fly...but they'll hit it and wont take it. what is goin wrong!?!?!?

about the pond:

the water is BLACK and there are red weeds and green scum under water. sand bottom. shallow (deepest is like 4.5') PLENTY of sticks and logs underwater. also a goooooood supply of critters scootin' about underwater. a whole poo-load of bugs flyin above the water and dabblin around on there.

so what flies should i use?

have tried making a fly that looks like bread also if you do use a small hook

ok. so the pond in the woods that i fish now has 40 some bluegills in it. well my friend that i fish with down there always SMOKES me down there. i dont mind cuz i use artificial stuff (lures and flies) but he uses bread. so its a givin he will catch more. but still.....i cant even catch bluegill down there on a foam spider! thats like the ultimate gill fly...but they'll hit it and wont take it. what is goin wrong!?!?!?

about the pond:

the water is BLACK and there are red weeds and green scum under water. sand bottom. shallow (deepest is like 4.5') PLENTY of sticks and logs underwater. also a goooooood supply of critters scootin' about underwater. a whole poo-load of bugs flyin above the water and dabblin around on there.

so what flies should i use?

try a trout fly or bread lookin fly or a gnat looking fly

Lots of good advice already. Pans are so accomodating that you just have to keep at it and experiment. My home stream is a good producer for pans, and I feel pretty confident that if I'm not outfishing the bait guys, I am real close, but I know I'm having more fun catching them than just sitting on the bank.

I have never had better luck with Bluegills than with Soft Hackle flies. I use size 12-14-16-18-20 scud hooks for Gills and try to use heavey guage hooks to help sink them. Starling if my choice of feather. A black thread body and a tiny collar and two wraps of hackle at the most. I have checked thousands of Bluegill stomachs and almost all of them were filled with what looks like unrecognizable black mush. This is a soup of extremely tiny things that seem to make up most of a Gills diet. With a tiny Soft Hackle there is no way a gill can sample and not inhale. I almost never keep Gills any more so a fine pair of needle-nosed plyers is a must for a safe release. I am new here so this may be old news to you all.

Haven't read thru this thread at all.....no time for that but. My favorite fly (all time) is the Usuall. Very famous trout fly originated by Fran Betters up in the Adirondacks. He's litterally a living legend. A "Classic" charactor. Don't have time to run the whole pattern for you but it's only one material. Snowshoe Rabbitt. Very easy tye as well. "Consult your Funk and Wagnels." :D mark..... ;)

i made some really awesome realistic bread flies and they worked amazingly, for about 15 minutes, then the bluegills caught on really fast and wouldnt touch em. that was back in the mid summer.

we had a severe drough over the entire summer and the pond dried up 100% :o so no more fish in it, no more worries lol :rolleyes: