Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
zip

My fly box

Hey folks,Thought I would post a pic of my fly box.It has over 200 or so flys in it so I think I may need a new one!

On a further note:I moved to Columbus GA a few months ago and the fishing is FANTASTIC!A few weeks ago I was going down to a little pond(while the bass were spawning)and cought around 5 smallies and countless brim.All on flies!

post-3092-1179248888_thumb.jpg

post-3092-1179248932_thumb.jpg

post-3092-1179248947_thumb.jpg

post-3092-1179248966_thumb.jpg

post-3092-1179249117_thumb.jpg

post-3092-1179249265_thumb.jpg

post-3092-1179249333_thumb.jpg

Hey Zip,

If I didn't know better, that looks like one of my crease flies in your fly box. Were you in the foam fly swap? Have you used it for bass yet? They usually draw the bass to the top.

Conehead

Yep I was in that swap.I used that creasefly the other day and landed a nice smallie on it!And man is it tough,got it caught in a tree and thought it was ruined but there was no damage done.Its very well tied!

Whats the recipe for it?

looks like you have all the bases covered (pun intended) :hyst: You should have something to throw at them no matter where or what you are fishing for

Yea it was pretty full and the foam wasnt worth a crap.Last night I bought different boxes for streamers,dry flies,nymphs ect...

Those were some monster gills!some of em were around 7-8 in.!

Hey Zip,

Happy you had some action on the crease fly. Sorry to take so long for this reply, I was out of town for a week.

It's an easy tie.

1. Tie on a tail of bucktail (your choice of color) and a few strands of tinsel or Crystal Flash (again your choice of color and flash). Wrap the entire hook with a good thread base so the glue will stick the foam to the hook.

2. Take a sheet of 2mm craft foam with one side already coated with adhesive (Wal-Mart for under a dollar) and peel off the protective paper and stick on some type of Mylar ribbon or reflective foil (Purchase at any craft store). I have several different patterns that resemble fish scales.

3. After the Mylar is in place cut a pattern that when folded in half will fit the hook and give you the desired shape you want. (Again use your imagination). Keep in mind you want to allow enough of an opening along the bottom for a good hook set.

4. Use superglue to glue the pattern to the hook. I use a spring type clothes pin to hold the foam until the glue sets. Make sure you leave an opening at the front to catch the water.

5. Color the foil with permanent markers to get the effect you want. (Darken the back coat, the mouth red, what ever you want). I coat the foam body with about 6 coats of Sally Hansons hard as nails clear fingernail polish. The first coat will dissolve the permanent marker color and blend the colors for you. On some ribbons the factory print may also dissolve if you go over the surface too many times. After the first coat dries, the color should be set, and apply the rest of the coats allowing it to dry between coats. I find 5-6 coats of clear polish will stiffen the foam while making it flexible.

6. You can also coat the foam with epoxy, but I find the epoxy gets very hard and if the fly hits a tree, rock, or other hard surface it has cracked to pieces. I would think if I fished the salt or for fish with sharp teeth, I would use the epoxy to coat the foam.

Now go and tempt some smallmouth.

Conehead