Fly Tying
James Daly

2 minute EP Trout Streamer

Greetings all,

With it being trout season and all, I felt I should share one of my favorite streamers with everyone. This is a very basic streamer inspired by my good friend and mentor, Mike Laskowski. His fly, the Triple Threat, is a lights out pattern. The great thing about the Triple Threat is that there is a seamless transition from the cone head to the fly body, plus it kills fish!!!! (OH MY GOSH DOES IT KILL FISH!!!) No wraps seen, all are hidden by the materials. Some may have seen the step by step in Fly Fishing and Tying Journal. The "reverse" tying style aids in tying a fly quickly and efficiently. The beauty of this pattern is that it can be arrayed in any color you want and if you use EP fibers (or anything of the like, for that matter) you know that the color combinations are limitless.

The color combination I have chosen for this is to mimick a generic baby trout, rainbow/brown. The selection used is EP Fibers Everglades 3D, Orange 3D and Bait Fish Belly. The bait fish belly gives it that yellowish white color seen on a lot of Brownies. This color combination has produced for me time and again on all species of trout as well as smallies, largemouth and pike/muskie (tied larger, much larger).

This fly, literally takes two minutes to tie. I appreciate Enrico's beautiful flies, but sometimes lack the patience to wrap and stack, wrap and stack, then trim. By the time it's all said and done, one may have 20 or 30 minutes wrapped up in one fly. Myself, when I've got the itch to fish and want to fill a box with streamers quickly, I don't want to go for beauty. I save my patience for Salmon Flies!! LOL!! Well, enough with the chatter......here it is.

Materials:

Hook: Size 10 4xl streamer hook (you pick the brand you like)

Thread: 70 Ultra Black

Back: EP Everglades 3D

Belly: EP Baitfish Belly

Sides: EP Orange 3D and 3-4 strands of Pearl Midge Krystal Flash

Step 1 Tie in your thread directly behind the eye and make 5 or 6 turns back towards the bend.

post-4102-1179366911_thumb.jpg

Step 2 Take 3"(marginally) of the Everglades past the hook eye and tie it in directly on top of the hook and directly behind the eye. Trim directly behind the thread wraps.

post-4102-1179366939_thumb.jpg

Step 3 If you use a rotary vise, give it a 180. Take the Baitfish Belly 2 3/4" (marginally) past the eye of the hook. This should be tied in slightly shorter than the back to help you with the natural taper of a fish's body. Tie directly on top of the hook and directly behind the eye. This will also help anchor the top fibers more. Trim directly behind the thread wraps

post-4102-1179366985_thumb.jpg

Step 4 This is what you're left with.

post-4102-1179366831_thumb.jpg

Step 5 Now, take the fibers and pull them to the back. Make sure to evenly split the belly on either side of the hook. Make a couple retaining wraps over the previous wraps here, if you would like.

post-4102-1179367313_thumb.jpg

Step 6 This is where the head is built up. Make enough wraps in front of the material to build up a nice little taper. Move back to the material and secure it with enough even wraps to semi-complete the head.

post-4102-1179367550_thumb.jpg

Step 7 Take 3 or 4 strands of flash. Tie these in on either side with 3 or 4 wraps. You can place and pinch both sides to secure them simutaneously.

post-4102-1179367665_thumb.jpg

Step 8 Now take the Orange 3D fibers in a sparse bunch and tie them in over top of the flash on either side. Why over and not under the flash? The EP fibers have a translucency to them, that when tied over the flash gives a more realistic look when in water. Trim them closely and finish wrapping the head to cover any arrant fibers. Cast off with a whip finish.

post-4102-1179367832_thumb.jpg

Step 9 Taper the body of the fly with scissors and finish the head. I've used Sally Hansen Hard as Nails on this one. Let it dry, then go crush a trout!!

post-4102-1179368101_thumb.jpg

This fly is unweighted. You can definitely opt to use a "LEAD FREE" wire to get the fly down. I like to tie them without weight, but there is a problem with it. EP fibers are very light and this thing will float like a cork until stripped. The reason I tie these without weight is the kick I get out of seeing a trout destroy this fly tracking just under the surface film. AND THEY WILL DESTROY IT. It will not go any further than about 3" under the surface unweighted. 2 or 3 turns of wire is sufficient to get the fly under.

**Note** I utilize EP 3D fibers for the mixture of color found in them. The overall color scheme is there, but I ask you to show me a bait fish that is totally olive or totally orange in color. If you've never seen Enrico's 3D stuff, it's a well thought out material. The Everglades is a brownish olive base color mixed with red, purple, black and blue. It definitely does the trick.

I love it when someone posts a tutorial like this. They're interesting and make it so easy to follow when you're tying the same pattern. Thanks, Jamie!

Ray

jamie that was real cool i have about a dozen color schemes running through my head right now, i better stop typing and write them all down. thanks for sharing and taking the time to step by step it. Best regards Paul :yahoo:

Yup, great stuff!!!

I started using it last year for saltwater and found that once you master using it sparingly, it's a piece of cake.

A few of us started buying every available color and swapped to get a variety

Here's a couple of emerald shiners that have worked quite well in local waters for bass, perch, crappie and pike. Hope to try them on walleye once they invade the shallows to fatten up for winter.They are somewhat weighted by utilizing epoxy for the eyes/head

IPB Image

Great Tutorial :headbang:

Excellent tutorial.

I just picked up some EP fibers to imitate basically the same exact fly. I just wasn't exactly sure how to go about it.

Thanks a bunch. What a big help.

Just got the material in to tie this pattern, can't wait. gonna try it in Oklahoma next weekend.

Thanks for easy to follow instructions.