Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
uffepuffe

Mayfly nymf identification

Alright here we go!

IPB Image

Found in a small swedish stream in the protective vegetation of the bank. The size is about 8-9 mm.

Some idenification keys:

- The size of course rules out quite alot of speices.

- The tails are equal in length (probably rules out Baetis?)

- Also the sharp dark areas on the tails followed by the clear dark rings towards the abdomen should be good identification keys.

- The last segments don't have this "pointy" apperance that you see on some mayfly nymfs

- The sharp contrast between the light sand colour and the very dark brown markings should also be a good identifications?

After consulting some books and internet sites I think it's Cloen or Procleon. But I could of course be very wrong. :dunno: Would be great to hear what anyone else thinks!

Ulf

Daryn-

You're getting pretty good at this. Gray Drake looks like a winner.

Ulf-

Very nice photo. I believe it is of genus Siphlonurus. You have (4) Siphlonurus species in Sweden, S. aestivalis, S. alternatus, S. armatus, and S. lacustris, one of which we also have in N. America, but I can't tell you which species you photo is.

Alright, thanks alot Roger. I did rule out Siphlonurus because of the size, I do know the aestivalis and alternatus to be quite larger (around 18 mm) but maybe the other two are smaller?

Would you mind telling me what features on the nymf identifies it as a Siphlonurus?

Ulf

Ulf-

It also may have a bit of growing to do yet, as the wing cases don't appear (to me at least) to have a sufficiently dark appearance, as would a nymph immediately prior to emergence.