Fly Tying
steelie

Foam and Pearl Braid Flies - Thnaks JJD - haha

Good Day,

Well, a few foam and pearl braid flies. Thanks to JJD for a little inspiration, hehe. Get me away from the realistics for a bit!

IPB Image

Steelie

WOW!!! very nice!! I like those!!!!!! I too would love to see some step by steps!!!

Nice!

Mike

a few foam and pearl braid flies

Okay, how do you make those cute little dudes? They are nice!

Ray

Just a thought about tying and fishing these types of flies - I've been playing with them for a few weeks in both fresh and saltwater...

You almost can't tie enough marabou on. The amount of marabou that looks proportional for the pattern when tying the pattern does not look the same in the water, and it does not seen to give sufficient action while fishing. While all of the versions seem to be effective for bass (and sea trout) down here in FL, the ones with more significant quantities of marabou seem to get the most attention from the fish by a fair margin.

...just something for your consideration...

John

steelie...Very nice pattern. Time for a materials list ans S-B-S? ;) We're waiting......................... :D

Later...

I do a similar fly just tie the tail add a piece of foam and shape it cover it with ez-body braid color and epoxy but steelie does add a nice artistic touch with the paint brush :thumbup: post-11143-1179943434_thumb.jpg

Good Day,

Quite simple really. No really! A marabou tail. A kinked popper hook. A cylinder of foam and pearl braid (you know, the stuff that is braided into a tube). Tie on marabou. cut a line lengthwise down foam cylinder about half way into the body of the foam. A spot or two of super glue on the hook shank. Open cut made in foam and slide over hook shank. Once dry, trim ends of foam a bit to taper the body. Slide pearl braid tube over body. Tie off at tail and then at hook eye. Trim excess braid. Color to suit. If fishing for toothy critters, coat with claer Plasti-Dip, Softex or epoxy.

I make my own foam cylinders. I use foam block (some fly shops carry them... http://www.tightlinesflyshop.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=699) and a brass tube that is sharpened on one end. I cut two slots on the other end and use something I made that kind of looks like a key chuck. Then drill the cylinders. Much less expensive than buying them pre-made. Plus, depending on the diameter of tube, you can control the diameter of the cylinder.

Coloring was done with markers.

Steelie