Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
danathan

how long does the tippet have to be ?

i put 3ft. for my tippet length but after a change my flys a couple of times its down to 3 inches. i think the clinch knot takes up to much line. should i just put an extra foot on it? :dunno:

Depends on how long your leader is, if your nymphing/fishing dries/swinging streamers/etc.

If I'm starting off with a fresh leader fishing for trout in 'normal' conditions I will usually only add 8" to 1' of tippet, if any at all. its just the price you pay that you have to re-tie the tippet once in awhile. I rarely have to change my tippet out during the day, unless I am continuously up in the trees or snagged on logs (okay so I have to change it a lot)

Hope this helps

i fish dry flys in medium to heavy curent.i still think thats not anof, that would last me about 2 changes. i thought in rougher water u use a longer tippet, like a few feet but ill try your way.

i fish dry flys in medium to heavy curent.i still think thats not anof, that would last me about 2 changes. i thought in rougher water u use a longer tippet, like a few feet but ill try your way.

My thought is that in rougher, 'choppy' water you can actually get away with having less of a tippet. It is in the flat, slower water where the fish has more of an opportunity to study the fly. Therefore, making a longer tippet more conducive to success....just my thoughts though.

i put 3ft. for my tippet length but after a change my flys a couple of times its down to 3 inches. i think the clinch knot takes up to much line. should i just put an extra foot on it? :dunno:

a 4-5 turn clinch knot shouldnt eat up any more than 1/2 inch of tippet. if you are eating up 33 inches if tippet after 2 fly changes, something is wrong. whats a foot of tippet gonna do???

I caught 50 gills today on my but section. no tippet (fishing in the pads for gills)

no not a few feet a couple inches. sage8weight told me too put on 8-4 inches of tippet.dont you have to use a tippet for flyfishing?i caught 60 gills / bass in my pond today.but back on topic, i think your right sage8weight(my bad) about the rough water and the tippet lenght

My point is that you only need what works. I think sage had the same point. I was horsing gills out of cover they were hot on the bite so no tippet was needed. If Im hitting carp Ill use 6 feet or as long as I can cast with out loosing energy. For Bass 2 to 3 feet unless the water is clear then maybe 4. Bass in cover 6ft of 20 pound and no tipet. Experiment with different ideas find what works for you.

why wouldn't you want to have a tippet on. would't you have to change that instead. sometimes i put only 4 inches for my tippet because tippets are cheaper than tapered leaders. don't you need all the leader since its tapered and it gets thicker at the top.i thought that was used for setting the hook.

Your tippet should always be long enough to reach the fly... :lol:

A tapered leader helps transfer energy from the fly line to the fly, creating a medium for a smooth transition to a fly. This is particularly important when using a small fly and a delicate presentation is needed to prevent spooking the fish.

I rarely use tippit anymore. All of my steelhead fishing and most of my trout and fishing is done with straight 6# Gamma line. Dries and small nymphs I add some 4# Trilene or light tippit. LM Bass I use 15# straight. Bluegills 6# and 4# to connect a dropper if I use one. I don't notice any loss in casting ability by doing this.

Don't need a tippet just nice to have so your not tieing a new leader all the time and to guarantee you always have a set length from your fly line to fly. I usually use either a 5 foot leader with a 4-5 foot tippet in high snag areas. And nice open areas I use a 8-9 foot leader with about 16 inches of tippet. For best casting and for me best results use a 9 foot tapered leader that tapers from 20lbs-6lbs and a 12-16 inch tippet

Happy fishing

A competition fisherman of some repute once told me "the further your flies from your [floating] line, the more fish you will catch. He was talking about trout on still waters. For this the most I have ever used is 17' (in addition to a 9' tapered leader). Whenever I go above 6' of tippet I will step it down to help with turnover.

One of the top instructors I know, for all sorts of technical reasons I don't totally understand, recommends a total leader and tippet of 1 1/2 times the rod length. Though I didn't totally follow his reasoning on this I have found it to be a good minimum. That would equate to using a 13'6" total leader on a 9' rod. Presuming that your tapered leader is 9' the tippet is 4'6". I'll usually stick 5' to 5'6" on and change it when it gets down to 3'. With a huge but! All this is dependent on what conditions dictate.

Cheers,

C.

1 1/2 times the total rod length is the rule i use on single hand rods, longer for small flies, shorter for big flies! I use 12' tappered leaders with about 1m of tippet deppending, same or smaller! If i was to use a 9' leader with a loooonnng tippet it would step down a size half way! Double hand sinking scandi shooting heads are different, about 2-3m straight mono, shorter or longer for bigger or smaller flies! Big pike flies, straight mono 1.5-2m including bit wire!