Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hywel

The Royal Gordon

The "Black Gordon" has been a mainstay on the North Umpqua river since the mid 1930's and is still a popular and productive fly to this day.

I've never been content to 'leave well enough alone',...and dressed a fancier variant of Clarence Gordon's original that I've nick-named the 'Royal Gordon'.

It's an example of what happens when you have some extra tying time on your hands and left-overs on your tying desk. *g*

Edit; As an afterthought I thought it'd make sense to post a pic of the 'Black Gordon' as it might have been tied circa 1940. I've used a 50-year old 1/0 Mustad 3658E Limerick hook and dressed it as per the original Rx;

Butt; Red Wool (or Silk)

Body; Black Wool

Rib; Oval Gold Tinsel

Hackle; Natural Black Saddle

Wing; Black Bear (or equivalent)

Hywel

post-1395-1180372232_thumb.jpg

post-1395-1180377904_thumb.jpg

Hywel,

Beautifull dressings on both flies. I think Mr. Gordon would be pleased, and recognize the Royal Gordon for what it is. Is that bronze peacock herl in the wing of the Royal?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the compliments!

Ron Eagle Elk,

Yes, that is Bronze Peacock herl that I'm using as an 'underwing' - although it wasn't intentional. It's just what I happened to cut off the eye of the plume.

Hywel

I like your take on the Royal Gordon, I know some people here that would like it also.

It would be a nice fishing fly and be productive too.

Howard