Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dan-Versacorp

Adams By Dan

Today, I tied my first Adams. Last time I used a 14# hook to tie a Griffith's Gnat which should be tied with 16#-20# hook. I tied that pattern because I think the pattern maybe is not so hard for me to tie.

Today I tied the Adams. Would your guys help me to point out what I should pay attention to in my next tying.

Hook: same as Dai-Riki 320 12#

Tail: grey and brown hackle barbs

Body: grey floss

Wings: grey hackle tips

Hackle: grey and brown mixed

The color of the picture is a little wrong. I used the grey chinchilla hackle to tie adams.

I have to say that to be a Chinese guy, I can not buy the genetic hacke in China. And no shop would send the genetic hackle or other tying materials like feathers to overseas according to the government post policies. :dunno: So I tried to find the smallest rooster neck hackle to tie this pattern. I have found the wings are a little longer. Please let me know any other problems I have not found about my tying pattern. I would appreciate it.

post-11315-1180721534_thumb.jpgpost-11315-1180721550_thumb.jpgpost-11315-1180721563_thumb.jpgpost-11315-1180721571_thumb.jpg

Dan

I think the basics look pretty darn good on this fly. But I cannot tell by the pic if the tail is a little to one side or not.

Jeff

The biggest thing I see is that your tail fibers seem to have spun around the far side of the shank, probably when you got them in place and then really drew down on them to lock them in place. I actually start tying in the tails an eye or two ahead of where the body will end. Then, as I work the thread back towards the bend, I actually grab the tails fibers and hold them up at an angle from the top of shank. This way, they stay on top as I tie them in and can still put good tension on the thread.

The only other thing I may suggest is that the wings may be a little long, but I think that may just be my taste.

Really a decent fly that should catch fish for you.

Looks like the wings are a bit too long just a careful snip and that should do. other then that it looks like a fish catcher.

I've caught more fish on adams flys this year then ever(Thanks Bruce) it's become my #1 fly in the box this year .. The fish in my avatar was caught on a parachute adams.

Well-done Dan. I know a spot where you'd be catching them all day with an Adams like that. Maybe not quite ready for the Catskill Fly Museum, but darn nice.

Hi Dan, looks pretty darn good for your first Adams - lots better than my first one. As in Deeky's comment, a lot has to do with personel preference. I like my wings seperated a bit more, cuz the fishy is looking from below and it might be easier for it to see them. BUT - that fly will catch fish as is. As you get more experience, you'll develope your own preferences and what looks good to you. Great job.

Nice work, Dan! Thank you (Xie Xie) for sharing & welcome to the site! I'm looking forward to seeing your work again in the future.

A good start!

Wings too long and should be spread apart a little more. Tail has spun around the shank. A tailing trick is to hold the fibers together, at an angle to the shank, so the butts are below the shank, and the tips are above. Tie on. The thread pressure will swing the tail fibers into line on top of the hook shank--like magic!

For the body, use synthetic gray or natural beaver dubbing, not floss. Floss absorbs water, even though its silk or rayon. Wind the dubbing very tightly, use it sparingly, just a few fibers on the thread. Treat the fur dubbing with water-shed.

-E

Let me clarify the tail tying trick:

Hold the small clump of tailing material by the tips, at about a 30 degree angle, so the tips are above the hook shank, and the butts below. Wrap the first wrap at the farthest point back of the tail tie in. The material may not move yet. The second wrap is forward of the first and this should cause the tail butts to pivot to the top of the hook shank under the pressure of the thread. Then the remaining wraps are forward of the first two. The tailing should end up on top of the shank and not too spread out.

Hope this helps.

-E

Good fly and great suggestions from everybody!

I've tried tying an Adams a couple times, and it was an utter disaster both times.

I should try again, now that I have a much better hang of dubbing.

Dan,

That fly looks very nice. The long wings make it look very elegant. I know the floss isn't the best choice of body but it gives it a certain look that is very pretty. Your hackle work is great. My only criticism is the wings should be parted a little more. Hard for me to say that because a real mayfly sits on the water with it's wings married. Keep up the good work.

To be your first adams it's very well tied Dan, i'm immpressed. The other guys covered the tail and wings already but the fly is still very fishable. Keep at it, you definitely have a knack for it. I wish my first adams looked as well

my first adams llok like a mayfly that got hit with a fly swat! :headbang: Excellent first though!