Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

Back from the deep dark woods

Just returned from a week of annoying small stream Brookies. I spent a week, just me and my tarp, in the Pere Marquette State Forrest, crashing around in the streams that flow into the Manistee River. The fishing was great, and the catching even better. Those Brookies sure are a pretty fish. Saw 2 other guys the whole time, and they weren't fishing.

Explored a new stream that ran thru some strange looking stands of trees. If you were ever to see an elf in the woods, this would be the place.

Highlight was having a black bear cross a two-track about 50 feet in front of me as I was walking back to the truck.. As soon as he saw me, he was GONE! that puppy took off thru the woods like a bat out of Hell. I've always seen bear prints in the sand on the streams, but never actually saw one till now. I've been in close proximity to a couple of Grizzlies, but seeing this black bear was even more exciting to me.

On the 6 hour drive home, I swear my truck tried to turn around and go back at least 3 times.

Looking forward to a few 3-4 day weekends until the season closes. :P