Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone print out their photos?

I was just going through all the gorgeous photos on here and I'm wondering if any of you print out your photos and frame them? Like for gifts and stuff. If you do what printer and paper do you like to use? I had some Kodak Premium Glossy Photo paper left over from sometime ago and printed out the close up of the flower that was open and it came out looking and feeling really nice (paper didn't seem cheap (flimsy)). I then printed it on some HP Photo paper and it just didn't look or feel as good as on the Kodak paper. I am also using a HP Deskjet of some sort. I don't remember the model number. Just kinda curious of what everyone is using. I'm sure this could get to be like "what is your favorite vise thread" but that isn't what I'm intending.

Thanks

Jim

I have several of my photos hanging up. Honestly, I prefer to take the images to a photo lab instead of wasting ink and time trying to do it myself. My printer sucks so $2.50 for a 8 x 10 is well worth it.

I get my paper and ink from Red River Paper. I like the 62# Ultra Pro Satin for most of what I print that will be framed and put on a wall.

for smaller stuff or just family prints that will go into an album I usually see what papers they have discounted and get something there.

I have a Canon i9100 that I use to make the prints. It can print up to a 13x19 print, but usually I don't go bigger than 11x14.

Red River Paper also sells inks and you can do a search for which of their papers will work best with your printer.

I ordered a sample pack from them that has I think two sheets of each kind of paper they make and tested with that to decide on the Ultra Pro Satin.

I get my prints professionally done. The amount of prints or enlargemants that I have done doesn't make the investment in a quality photo-printer, film scanner, and major computer upgrade worth while. When I do get a print done, I'm lucky enough to be able to go to a printer that listens and works closely enough with me to get the best possible print possible from the negative or slide I take in to her. It may not be cheap, but I know that I have an excellent quality print that can range in size from poster size (24x36) down to 8x12.

Besides, I'd rather be out fishing and taking pictures rather than being tied to a computer and Photo-shop. hehehe

Ernie

I agree with the general sentiment...I do all my own corrections at home and then take mine to Walmart to prnit them out.

I print my photos on a Canon 6700D printer and have found that the Canon glossy paper works better than Kodak paper with this printer. It's a very good printer for the money. FishHawk

Well I just wanted to update you all on this. My printer doesn't do a bad job printing. But I have been sending my photos over to Wolf Camera because they are up the street from where I work. Their prices are pretty good and they print on fuji paper. I sent my good photo over yesterday and picked them up. I had it printed a 5x7, 8x10 and a 10x13 and they all came out super duper sharp. I sent over my moon shot lastnight and am going to pick that up today at lunch.

Jim

The other day I had my wife print one of my macro flower shots at CVS Pharmacy. It didn’t look good at all when she brought it back. It looked much better on the computer and on the screen of the camera. It was my first time printing a macro shot. Not sure why it didn’t turn out.

Matt, you didn't mention what was wrong with the print. There are probably a million reasons why it could have come out badly, depending on what was wrong with it.

Hmm.....It's hard to judge sharpness by looking at the camera's LCD, but if it appears as sharp on your monitor as the other stuff you've had printed, then the printing service could be at fault. One way to tell is to bring the image somewhere else and have them print a copy - if it's OK, you have your answer. If it isn't, then the image may not be sharp enough to enlarge.

I use an on-line photo printing service called Snapfish (www.snapfish.com). I upload the photos to Snapfish using Google's Picasa program and then order prints in whatever size/quantity that I want. The price is very reasonable and their service has been excellent. There are many other similar services availible from other companies.

I always take mine to a professional printing shop and have them done there..My printer sucks and the ink is expensive... So for the money and quality I go Pro..

I have had a handfull of prints made from 5 X 7 to 10 X 14 and they all came out excellent..The color , sharpness and overall quality was amazing..

I tell them to do no color corrections as I do my own in PS..

<_< I use a Canon mp600 and Microsoft Picture It Premium 10 on canon paper. I have tried other software and nothing seems to print as good as Picture It. Of course the printer and paper do make a difference, but they come out better than walmart, etc.

joelst :blink: