Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SmallieKiller

Any suggestions?

Well, I'm apparently taking a trip to somewhere along the jersey shore in April, last weekend of April, I do believe. I plan on chucking some jerk baits and spoons from shore, but I'm curious about some flies to fire out there. I have a 9ft 9W Diamondback, that I use for steelies and an Okuma Integrity 8/9 weight, if that big enough for fishing in the surf and around the jetties down there?

I would assume most of what I get won't be monsterous.

Also any suggestions on flies would be great, I'm kind of a newbie to tying, so be gentle...

Thanks in advace.

There is a New Jersey Web site that can help... I am not sure if I should be posting the site here...but will PM you the site..

Do you know what part of Jersey? I might be able to offer some specific suggestions. By the end of April, the spring striper run should be under way and if we can get the water temp above 50 you might find some blues around.

I use an 8 wgt rod with a 9 wgt line, so you should be alright with the rod.

If you're fishing south of IBSP, check out The Bass Barn. It has a fly fishing forum. For patterns check out South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers, and the Atlantic Salt Water Flyrodder sites. Both have patterns and step by step instructions.

If the water warms up fairly quickly all the baits should be around. Herring, bunker, silversides. So look for patterns that imitate them. This time of year the patterns will be a bit bigger. Look to tie the bigger patterns with artificial materials. You can create the illusion of a larger fly without the bulk and water absorbing of the naturals. And when you're finished tying up the saltwater patterns, and done fishing toss them in your smallie box.

As Philly said The Bass Barn is a good source of info. Take a look at the Stripersurf.com there is a lot of great info there too. Also take a look at the next 2 links. They are both from tackle shops (no afiliation wink.gif ) with almost daily reports:

Betty and nicks - This one tends to stretch things out a bit. I once heard a joke that someone dropped a tuna sandwitch on the beach and they called it a blitz biggrin.gif .

New Dolphin

Keep an eye out on APP.COM (Ausbury Park Press). Look under fishing. They give a report and some articles.

PS

I always do good at Shark River Inlet in Belmar NJ. Not FF but the bass are there.

Have Fun,

Mozes