Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Flourocarbon knots

I am going to start using flourocarbon leaders this year for steelhead. I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best knot for tying tippet to the fly and leader to tippet. I have heard you need to be careful of the diameter you are using and that you do not "burn" the flouro when pulling on the knots. Thanks for your help.

I'd prolly do a double surgeons or double uni knot from the leader to tippet, and either a clinch knot or dare i say palomar knot to the fly. you got to be real careful and get a really good method down in order not to burn (get the squiggles) in your line. If you do, cut and retie. since flouro doesn't stretch like mono, it exacerbates any weak spots you may have.

steve

I'm not sure what brand you are going to use, but I have had good "luck" fishing for Salmon and Steelhead with Rio Flouroflex Plus and Airflo Sightfree. The nice thing about the airflo is you get twice as much (50m) for close to the same price as a regular spool(25m).

As far nots are concerned:

Tippet to Fly - Clinch Knot (not improved)

Leader to Leader - Double Surgeons knot

Loop - Perfection Loop

Chip

i should say that i too used the non-"improved" clinch knot.... with flouro it seemed to hold very very well. And also the improved version is dang near impossible to tie without getting the squiggles, thus breaking very easily.

steve

jsb let us know how the floro works for you,i have tried it myself in the past and asked the same knot question last year but never had much luck with it dunno.gif

let me know what brand you try and how it works

SD

I use floro as well for steelhead (when the water is low and/or clear). Everybody has their own favorite knot, but I will add that to help avoid the "burn" or "squiggles", I usually spit on the area of my knot (helps lubricate). It seems to work for me. Good luck and I do believe in floro vs. tippet. Too dam bad the cost is not the same.

bryonfly .... Did you mean floro vs. nylon biggrin.gif always wet the knot before pulling tight....

Sign in to follow this