Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingtaz

Vise needed

The other day I was at the vise tyin with the g.f. When i turned to get some materials for the fly, the jaws broke loose on the fly. I thought it just lost tension, but one of the jaws broke on the vise. The g.f. is getting me the jaws for fathers day(I thought Id have to wait another month for my b.d.), but her daughter is gonna get me another one for my b.d. Any suggestions on a good replacement. I have a traveler, was thinking of something else. Any good suggestions for a travel vise when away from home??

Be sure to look at the peak for the money it is the best and will last! I tie on a hmh I do not use a rotary so the hmh spartan is the best vice for me for under 200.

Take a look at the DynaKing Kingfisher. It is small enough for travel, very well made and fantastic jaws. It will rotate, but not a true rotary. Should run around $100

If you want an affordable, great vise for travel that is full rotary than I think the Griffin Mongoose is hard to beat. It comes with a case, both pedastal and c-clamp, Vise Extension Shaft, and the material clip is nice. I have owned the Renzetti Traveler, Vossler, Griffin Mongoose, Regal, and a few others and for the money I think the Mongoose is a great bet.

Cheers~

I got a knock-off of a Regal at Bass Pro. Spring Jaws,wooden case,pedestall,cclamp,full rotary,for $50.I love it,one of the b est iv ever had.

I to have the griffen moongose

I picked mine up for 150 or 160

came withe c-clamp base and pesttal, tools and all in a nice case :headbang: :headbang:

FC

day5

I thought the Spartan is a rotory vice ,that is what they advertise it as ?

It is but it is not a true rotary. It doesnt have the cam action or It doesnt spin the axis of the hook on plane. The feature is not a necessity for most tyers that own a full rotary. most do not use it the way it was intended. I spin my hook to gain access to the hook in the gap and to place and inspect materials but that is it I do not rotate materials on the hook with my vice. As soon as I have extra money (never!!) I would like to get a peak or a mongoose I can get both wholesale. I did however upgrade my hmh base to a peak. the peak base is the best and most useful base made!

First consideration should be your budget. All vices will hold a hook. But I have an HMH standard and a regal and love both of them. The only thing with the regal, it has a nick in the jaws from popping out a #18 hook. The jaws are always closed so no adjustment needed. The problem with that is if you don't put a small hook in right it can pop out and the jaws snap closed and break the jaws. Other than that I love it. I like the HMH better though. The dynaking is really popular also and ive tied on them... great also. All of these are in the $250 to $350 range retail.