Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishpj

Type of Dubbing?

What sort of dubbing is the best? I have been using rabbit but the superfine seems like a good deal. Any pro's and cons to this? Should I stick to the regular?

EDIT: What about haretron?

I have had pretty good luck with most of the brand names, I think the most important thing in my case is choosing the correct dubbing for the right job.

I have had good luck with haretron. and supefine. Others may dissagree, but use a good name brand and the one best for the tye you are doing.

Jeff

I have about every type of dubbing in the market. I love the rabbit dubbing because it's easy to blend. Sure fine is a great dubbing also. Remember there is about 4 million patterns to tie and they have at least 400 variations of each fly, so get tying !!. :yahoo:

I use Superfine for flies size 12 and smaller. On larger flies I'll use rabbit. For streamers I'll use seal, SLF or Ice Dub.

In my opinion its pretty hard to screw up dubbing but some dubbings do dub easier than others. Since your around my age and have a tight budget you may want to consider dubbings from flytyersdungeon.com. The dubbing is about 75 cents a pack and they are good sized packs and shipping is only $2.50. This is probably the best deal you will find on dubbing. Their skeeter fuzz is a fine and dry dubbing that dubs the easiest of any dubbing I have ever used. They also carry hares ear dubbing and other dubbings that you might need for nymphs and wets.

Dubbing is one of those great things that does not matter what you use most of the time. The biggest problem I have found with people and dubbing is in their technique.

I would have to say that I like beaver alot, but anything will work for the most part.

Joe Fox