Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Marcus

What is this kind of mayfly ?

Hey,

I need help to identifying this two mayflies, it looks like the Hexagenia Limbata ? But im not sure..

/ Marcus

post-4098-1182433736_thumb.jpg

Marcus-

Hexagenia have (2) tails in their winged life stages. Those pictured both have (3) tails. I believe both are of genus Ephemera, the one on the left, a male subimago, and the one on the right, a male imago. If they are from Sweden, you have (4) Ephemera species there, E. danica, E. glaucops, E. lineata, and E. vulgata.

Ok, Thanks again buddy !

One learn oneself something here every day ! ;-)

Have it best, regards Marcus

If were from Michigan, it would look like our Ephemera simulans. Attached is a scan from Burks' "The Mayflies, or Ephemeroptera, of Illinois," which despite being over 50 years old is priceless.

Cheers, Ethan

post-5037-1183244848_thumb.jpg

If were from Michigan, it would look like our Ephemera simulans. Attached is a scan from Burks' "The Mayflies, or Ephemeroptera, of Illinois," which despite being over 50 years old is priceless.

Cheers, Ethan

Ok, thanks a lot Ethan!

Marcus-

Hexagenia have (2) tails in their winged life stages. Those pictured both have (3) tails. I believe both are of genus Ephemera, the one on the left, a male subimago, and the one on the right, a male imago. If they are from Sweden, you have (4) Ephemera species there, E. danica, E. glaucops, E. lineata, and E. vulgata.

Taxon, can you give me details about this (4) Ephemera species who exist in Sweden. I will know everything about them, but most of all, the lenght of the wings, legs, body, tail, and the whole mayfly.

Marcus-

Taxon, can you give me details about this (4) Ephemera species who exist in Sweden. I will know everything about them, but most of all, the lenght of the wings, legs, body, tail, and the whole mayfly.

The best I can do is to give you a body length range for the winged lifestages of those Ephemera species inhabiting North America. Mayfly body length is measured from the front of the head to the end of the abdomen, and does not include length of the tails. For Ephemera, body length ranges from 10-30 mm. In North America, one of the Ephemera species is quite a bit larger that the others. That is the reason for the large range of body length. Sorry I can’t be of more help, but I don’t (yet) have detailed descriptions for European mayflies.

Marcus-

The best I can do is to give you a body length range for the winged lifestages of those Ephemera species inhabiting North America. Mayfly body length is measured from the front of the head to the end of the abdomen, and does not include length of the tails. For Ephemera, body length ranges from 10-30 mm. In North America, one of the Ephemera species is quite a bit larger that the others. That is the reason for the large range of body length. Sorry I can’t be of more help, but I don’t (yet) have detailed descriptions for European mayflies.

Thanks!!! It helped a lot. Now, I go for superrealistic tying of an Ephemera. ;)

Taxon, you is the best! Thanks again!

/ Marcus