Think you're saving money...you won't!

Let me tell you why.

You'll need everything you see....

Materials ain't free.

If you've got the money...

JStockard's ready to please!"

BTW...Great first try.

Hot Tuna

That looks a lot better than my first fly Logy!! My first fly was so ugly when I threw it out it came back and hit me in the eye... the &^%%$ fish had thrown it back! :D

Its common for beginners to have tail feather rotate at first. Try what's called a "loose loop". Holding the feathers on top of the hook shank with your one hand bring your first loop of thread around but dont pull it tight, instead keep it loose and lightly pull it straight down instead of trying to wrap, this will secure the feathers on top. The second wind you can wind as normal.

Logy

It was a good first fly.

You already knew you were unhappy due to the tail rotation, that is good that you can see your mistakes. There was one time that I was so happy with a fly I tied and showed it to a friend while at stream side. Then he started pointing out all the mistakes with the fly, then continued to tell me that if he was me he would take it back to the place I bought it.

Ouch, I am glad I didnt tell him, Look at what I tied.

So at times we all miss a few things.

This room is good at giving advise to to those that asked, there are a lot of fly tying enperience in this room.

You will enjoy it.

Jeff

Excellent advice from ratface but I highly doubt the fish are going to say "Look at that rotated tail!"...the late great Gary LaFontaine used to have a saying about flytying..."the general principles of roughness and ugliness".

That's not to say you shouldn't tie for perfection if that is what you're after.

Keep up the good albeit slightly rotated work!

Hot Tuna

PS Make sure to save that fly after you get your first fish on it.

yep,

welcome to the obsession. like ive said before, this hobby and website should come with a warning and disclaimer :)

hang onto the first fly..............

keep on tyin'

camoham

hang onto the first fly..............

ROFL.. i went fishing today out on a pier and i got it stuck on a conapy of a boat already.. :(

:hyst: Nice fly-have you ever tried taking up bowling? :j_k: I expect to see some good flies come from you since thats your first!Welcome to the addiction!

Tie one just like it (rotated tail and all) in black and brown. If it doesn't catch a bass I'll eat my shorts!

I've had a lot of luck fishing baits like that in creeks and ponds both. As a variation you can place a weight near the eye and the small mouth will go nuts over it thinking is a crawdad.

logy,

I think those look pretty good and will likely catch fish.

I like my clousers a bit more on the sparse side when I tie them. I would use maybe 1/2 the amount of hair that you used, especially on the white. I end up using less material and they catch fish just as well.

Brian