Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
justinl8688

Salmon River NY

my trip was disappointing to say the least (as far as the fishing went.....there were plenty of fish around I just didn't have my gameface on)......I had my father-in-law with me so that kind of slowed my down....but he had fun and tangled with a couple of fish (he learned the importance of using quality hooks)

Dale

that is an AWESOME picture you took.....definatley need more rain up there so that the fish can start a bigger migration to make the babies for future runs......

Vern-O. So, your father in law went to the school of "2X heavy wire hooks"!! I've even had some of those puppies get 'scared straight' on bigger fish! Especially with the smaller sizes (#12 and smaller). At least the trip was better than mowing the lawn . . . . . . .

mnorton. Those guys were stacked in a spot that I usually have to use 2 #3 split shot to keep my fly on a bottom drift. Now, there's about enough water coming down that stream to wet a large paper towel.

I saw more of the same as previous posts. The fish seem to be doing OK as a general rule; their stomachs are beat up from the low water though. Lots of migration losses as evidenced by the larger than usual number of early carcasses along the banks. The most worrying thing I saw was just a huge amount of 'sight fishing' that I saw where guys were absolutely 'lining' the fish. It was sad to see. The saving grace of the weekend was watching two younger lads dead drifting estaz flies through a hole and refusing to partake in the 'sight snagging' that was taking place in the riffles both above and below them!!

actually Dale....F-in-law had some realy crap hook....it didn't even straighten....it just snapped (he tends to get a little over excited when hooked up ; -) it's always good fishing with him, but it was a last minute decision for him to come, so I had change my tactics (there's a very funny story to go with it, but here and now isn't the place)

I encountered some real intersting fishing techniques.....hold the rod down low then pull quickly around the body and then upwards......it looked like redneck ballet with cannon balls and spiderwire

I saw some of that technique down at the Rt. 3 bridge. Nothing like advertising that you're snagging, it puts hair on your chest!!

Broken hooks is not a good thing. That's why I tell anyone that will listen: "Buy the best hooks, tippet and line you can afford; it's your only link to the fish". I've fallen prey to that before " . .try these new hooks (tippet, line, etc.)" I always seem to got back to the old proven stuff.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this