Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Ray's Cray (Tube Fly)

The photos I added to the pattern database include views of the fly from the bottom and also views of the fly after getting it wet. The last picture shows the fly sitting in a bowl of water. The rabbit fur claws and schlappen give this fly tons of motion in the water. I love the way the legs and claws fold back when the fly is pulled through the water. The fly has a great profile (streamlined like a crayfish fleeing) when it moves tail first.

The photos below are a real crayfish I caught in one of the local streams a couple summers ago. The photos were my inspiration to use the tan colored underbody. A bunch of the crayfish were recently molting and they were lighter in color (more tan & olive color) than this crayfish. I've heard that the bass love the soft shell versions. The materials on this fly are soft. I am hoping the texture will keep the fish from spitting it out right away (maybe give an extra second or two to set the hook).

Can't wait to test this one out on some bass. :headbang:

post-4573-1183320923_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1183320947_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1183320963_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1183320991_thumb.jpg

Nice job, I love tube flies. They are so versital. I made a tube craw out of some rug yarn. It looked horrible, like a carpet threw up on it but it did catch a nice bass hanging out at the bottom of a riffle.

now theres a nice fly! i'd like to tie some of those but i dont have any of that egg yarn. it looks like i could use furry foam but i dont have any of that either....do you think if i layed a good lead base that would sink a 2mm craft foam body?

LOL! yea i'm gonna go try it now. i also dont have the right colored bunny strip for the claws :( all i have is chinchilla and black. i'll have to come up w/ something else for claws. any ideas?

dsaavedra - The chinchilla color might work. If you want to experiment a bit you could make a weak cup of tea and then put in a 5 inch long piece of zonker strip. If you heat it up in the tea it will probably "dye" (stain) the zonker strip a tan color. If you've got any white zonker strip, it may work better.

well i made my own version cuz i forgot how you tied yours and i used foam for the claws and the rest of it. just one big piece. i had a problem w/ the thing standing straight up cuzza the big foam claws. i still have some modding to do.... :blink: