Fly Tying
flyfishingtaz

favorite summer flies

So far all my flies have been deep diving patterns during the day, and foam patterns at night. Dont seem to be gettting any bites off of deerhair patterns yet. What have you guys been catching em on this summer?

Iv caught all kinds of stuff on soft hackled flies(including a 5 lb LMB).Lots of luck on an adams and wooly bugger.PT nymph...

Iv caught all kinds of stuff on soft hackled flies(including a 5 lb LMB).Lots of luck on an adams and wooly bugger.PT nymph...

I'd like to see that soft hackled fly that caught that five pounder :headbang: !! That's awesome!!

Most of my bass this summer (6/1/07 on) have come on deer hair divers and poppers. Some on bunny leaches, but not so much. The divers have been really good for me, either with sink tip or floating line. Olive and natural brown have been the best colors so far for the divers, black for the poppers (always bet on black :rolleyes: ).

bluegill on-

soft hackle wets, POPs, PYPs, drys (adam). deer hair caddis and even a copper john.

bass-

some have gotten bit by a size 10 deer hair caddis. others have fallen to a sort-of 'macintosh' pattern ive tied on a size 6 hook.

camoham

Terry Lee-I'll get a picture of it and post on this thread.

Hook:mustad 1x streamer hook(straight eye)

Tag:silver mylar tinsel(wrapped to mid-shank)

Forward body:Orange floss wibbed with red med. ultra wire.

Hackle:a guinea hackle dyed green.

Thread:Black uni 6/0

after my little trip to the neighbors pond yesterday and my best trip this summer i must say im liking my two color chernobyl hoppers. black over brown with centipede legs :headbang: :headbang:

I just caught a bunch of smallies on a couple different colored poppers, browns on a Sofa Pillow during a Hex hatch, browns on a no-hackle Elk Hair Caddis and my favorite pattern of all is a wine colored Zebra midge with a copper T-bead and copper wire ribbing. Actually, I have that pattern in probably a dozen different combos and they all catch fish at different times of the year.

Mike

I just caught a bunch of smallies on a couple different colored poppers, browns on a Sofa Pillow during a Hex hatch, browns on a no-hackle Elk Hair Caddis and my favorite pattern of all is a wine colored Zebra midge with a copper T-bead and copper wire ribbing. Actually, I have that pattern in probably a dozen different combos and they all catch fish at different times of the year.

Mike

Mike + Warm Water = well, I don't know what that equals :dunno: ..... I'm proud of you Mike, but I'm half expecting to find my dogs sleeping with cats when I get home this evening :hyst: :hyst: :j_k: :hyst: :hyst:

The smallies were in the river and the bluegills were in the lake behind my sister's house if that counts for anything Terry. ;) When I'm at my family's on vacation, I have no choice and am at the mercy of whoever wants to fish that day. :help:

Mike

I went out fishing the other day with a friend to his parents farm pond. In one hour we had logged at least 20 gills apiece, and I had hooked into a nice 3lb bass. Wasnt bad at all for the size of this pond. On the fourth me and my g.f. got together with him, and some of his family for a get together at his brothers place out in the middle of nowhere, and a pond huge eonugh to be considered a lake in my book. Caught mostly bass this time, with the exception of a hookup into a catfish( most all these fish were on ehc). Afew of the bass I caught were on poppers.

Just got back into fishing lately, been crazy around here.

Black 00 chennille ants with cinamon hackle mid body. Starts out dry but ends up being a wet.

Nice on yellow perch and bluegills.

for lmb, sunnies and smallies

I have been doing well with crease flies, pencil poppers and yes dearhair poppers

subsurface helgramite, crayfish, buggers, and small clousers

I would love to be able to tell you but the truth of the matter is I went fishing only once this summer and all I caught was a shark. Big streamer. Since I have moved to San Diego I haven't found the gind of bass fishing I prefer. It's all boats around here, the only running water comes out of the faucet. Until I can turn on the water and fill the sink and have there be a bass in it....there will be no fishing for me.

I would love to be able to tell you but the truth of the matter is I went fishing only once this summer and all I caught was a shark. Big streamer. Since I have moved to San Diego I haven't found the gind of bass fishing I prefer. It's all boats around here, the only running water comes out of the faucet. Until I can turn on the water and fill the sink and have there be a bass in it....there will be no fishing for me.

I feel for you, bro. Very very very little public water where I live, and I'm grateful to fish when and where I can. Summertime fishing down here in what few private ponds I can fish is difficult due to drought, real high water temps, and this whole "work" thing I gotta do. I haven't wet a line since coming home from leave the first week of June. I think the fish sort of go into estivation when the water temp is in the high 90s...