Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ethan Bright

Merritt, Cummins and Berg - Aq Insects of NA 4th Ed

Heads up: Merritt, Cummins, and Berg (eds.), "An Introduction to the Aquatic Insects of North America, Fourth Edition," is heading for the presses. I received an email from Bioquip advertising a 10% discount for advanced orders: http://www.bioquip.com/specials/book_special.asp

The new editor - Marty Berg - is a great entomologist who, like me, studies chironomids, and does a lot of work with trophic interactions and Great Lake ecology. As stated in previous posts, there will be lots of updates, mostly for the holometabolous insects, but there are changes for the mayflies (especially Baetidae and Heptageniidae).

When I get my copy, I'll try to write a review for the group. The price may appear steep, but it's pretty much par for this kind of book. It should be relevant for another 10 years or so. Good thing it's coming out now, because my 3rd Edition is starting to fall apart. (The big problem with spiral-bound books - the thin pages eventually tear).

Cheers, Ethan