Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
scottishtrout

Right on Right, Left on Right which feathers

Not posted much recently been busy with work (also spent a week catching salmon on the Dee - a very rare event for me!)

I don't think this subject has been debated on this site (could be wrong); over the weekend I got into discussion with a very traditional classic salmon fly tier. He started me thinking....

Some of the early books on tying state that you should always tie the Right hand feather on the right side of the hook. So let’s define that:

1) The right hand feather is the feather you hold in your right hand that curves to the left with the "good" side upwards or facing you.

2) The right side of the hook is side of the hook facing you when the bend it to the left.

Hope that makes sense. It seems to me that a lot of flies (including the Red Rover I posted a while back) are tied with the Left feather tied on the Right side.

What are you opinions on this, and if you agree that Right on Right is correct, are there any feathers that defy the rule - and if so which ones....

I am confused as to which side is the right side of the hook. I tie mostly on hooks that I have made and I forgot to label the hooks when I made them. :)

I guess that if you are looking from the tip of the blind eye and looking down the shank that the right hand side would be the the far side for right hand tyer and vice versa.

The left hand side of the feather is the near side and the right hand side would be the far side (right handed people only) would seem to agree with what you are saying. I think.

I got a little confused with your hook description. But if my hook is facing with it's eye to my right in my vice the left side of the hook is the one facing away from me and it gets the right side of the feathers with the right side of the feather being as described in your post. In other words... the ends of your married wing pointed at an upward slope and the wing on that side put together upside down when building it. But.... I have seen them tied occasionally as right feather is left on the hooks and tips of wing on hook facing downwards.. both on salmon flies and tradtional wet trout flies.

Whoa, I hope that came out right.... that made me confused :hyst:

I have always referred to the sides of the hook as "near" and "far" sides. The left and right descriptions seemed relative to whether you are right or left handed. The feathers can only be mounted one correct way no matter what hand you tie with.

I am new at this having only completed 4 of the six CSS flies. I have to have things simple for my simple mind. If I am looking at the hook from the eye end (or blind eye end) head on and the shank goes away from my face with the bend going to the ground, then the side of the hook that matches my Right Hand is the Right side and the other is the Left Side. When I mount it is the vise to tie, the Right Side is the Far Side of the hook and the Left Side is the Near Side (I am Right Handed so my hook has the eye pointing to the Right.

Feathers are about as easy for me. When I lay the feather on a table with the correct side up as it would have been on the bird and the tip is pointing away from me, the side that is on my Right is the Right Side and the other is the Left.

Now, when I make a wing, the wing that I made from the Right Side of the feather as described above, goes on the Right/Far side of my hook. The Left wing goes on the Left/Near Side of my hook.

When I follow this plan, my wings come out looking right.

Again, Simple directions for my Simple Mind.

Brian

left side of the feather goes on the near side. right side of the feather goes on the far side. if anyone tells you different he hasn't tied salmon flies, PERIOD.

Bud ( right handed )

I hope that the article on buliding married wings in the inaugural Hatches Magazine will make this problem "go away" for all tiers!

Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

Hello all,

Sorry if my first description was unclear, should have said right side feather on near side of hook (if right handed). The old timer explained to me that this method was the correct method of mounting the wing, he showed me the technique for "kinking" the feather strip to reverse the slope of the tips. The reason that this method was used was that it retained the natural curve of the wing fibres when the fly was in use - he stated that a left on nearside would always try to revert to it's natural curve. He mention that there were some feathers that could not be used this way (and I think GP was one of them)

I have seen the flies that he has tied and they are superb. He felt that left on near size was the lazy way of tying.

He also subscribed to the technique of using small strips (I guess you could call it the Kelson style) of 2 - 3 fibres.

I'm not advocating this view, just wondered if anyone had tried this method? (Also, I think that this is how Kelson suggested the wing should be tied)

Cheers

Colin

hi colin

I too had the same conversation with the old chap about how wings should be set,

he told me that most of the flies he has seen lately seem to tie the on the wrong side left on the wright and vise versa, thats how they end up with a thin wing at the end of the fly.

when old classics all had a thin start and end up thicker at the end of the fly.

this is how i try and set the wings on my flies.

philip

Sign in to follow this