Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

World record BigMouth Buffalo!

They actually showed this fish on ESPN's SportsCenter yesterday at lunch, that is unbelievable blink.gif

Sorry yall, I just lied. Opened the paper 5 minutes ago to the outdoor page, and this guy caught a 55 pound Black Buffalo on 12 pound test. Amazing how close the stories were. Sorry yall. Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

now what is he gonna do with it??? i'd have to release a fish like that. Get some pics, have a BOGA grip certified, and some witnesses (no doubt you'd call everyone you know with a badass fish like that). Between the pics, the Boga Grip weight, and witnesses, you can still get IGFA record book and have a VERY nice repro mount done that are actually better than the real thing.

steve

Mman,

I was thinking the same thing. Especially when she started spurting her eggs.

All for his 15 minutes of fame, big deal. Something's are more important.

Doesn't sound like this guy is a catch and release type.

I don't want to sound like I have a problem with guys who keep a few fish.

When I get lucky and catch a large fish. It goes right back in the water no questions asked.

What are you guys smoke.gif? If you catch a 73lb fish that could be a world record you would let it go???!!! I have no problems releasing a fish (I release most of them), but a 73lb monster....I don't think so! Maybe it is just me dunno.gif.

I hope I did not offend 100% C&R people with this post.

Mozes

If he could say that he was honestly feeding his family with it, that is one thing that I could live with, but who eats them things? Obviously hes never done the stick in vent thing to keep eggs from spewing out, I just think he woulda got his 15 minutes either way, had a whole hell of a lot of less stinkier room (where they are keeping it on ice), a nicer mount, and the fish woulda swam away and made babies.

I have no problem keeping fish that I am going to eat and it is conservation sound to keep. Most large fish don't taste that great so they go back, as do rare fish. I also don't usually keep a lot of fish, but do put my limit of perch in the freezer during winter to save for lent because of meatless fridays and all.

steve

Mozes, you don't have to keep a fish to get an IGFA world record. Read up on the rules. What are you going to do with that "73lb monster"?

note: i believe all boga grips are now allowed as certified now, I believe i read that somewhere.

steve

If I'm not mistaken there are a couple different boga grips one with and one with out a scale. The one with a scale is like $100.

Beyond my price range for an accessory.

I could care less about records, care less about fame. I just want to drink, eat and fish.

If you want catch a fish its your do what you want with. Me I'd rather know she was out there to be caught again.

Anyone know what its weight was after all the eggs were gone?

I'm thinking 60lb from what they guessed. So, in reality it wasn't even a record fish in my book. dry.gif

I usually throw everything back unless it isn't going to make it or I'm hungry for a fresh trout but then I never catch one when I'm planning on cooking em so I take that as a sign never to go fishing when I'm hungry for grilled trout. biggrin.gif

I wouldn't kill a fish like that under any circumstances. Several years ago a guy I know landed a huge Tarpon. He and the guide measured it and calculated the weight to be around 198 pounds. It would have broken the record by 10 or 12 lbs. He took some pics. and released the fish. The "world record" just wasn't worth that Tarpon's life.

A couple of years later, some punk from the Pacific Northwest caught and killed a 202 lb. Tarpon. He caught all kinds of grief for his little ego trip and he deserved it.

I do practice C&R and that's my thing. I am going out to fish and relax. I am not going out to try to break records or find some fame for catching a huge fish. I fish by myself alot so I take a camera with me. I just like to fish and relax so I hope this does not offend anyone. My fame would have come from within by releasing that fish for some 12 yr. old little boy or girl to have a chance to catch it at another time.

For some people, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I'm not going to down somebody for taking home a world record. If a guy knows a place, or is just so good, that he takes 10# Walleyes every trip, then him I would be aggravated with for taking them all home. This however, is a world record. How many of us will ever do something like that! I have caught and released citation 'Gills, Crappie and Perch, but if I caught a world record, I can't say with any certainty what I'd do with it.

I release more fish in a season than many people catch, I don't say that to brag, just to point out the fact that I believe in catch and release too. If this was some rare fish like Paddlefish or something, then sure let it go. However, this guy caught the fish of his lifetime, and it was perfectly legal and not unethical for him to keep it. For some people, this is the only "I did it" that they will ever have.

30 massive specimens taken home in a season is bad. 1 world record doesn't deserve harsh criticism. I might have only taken pictures and measurements, or I might have kept it. I won't know 'til it (IF it) happens.

There are plenty of times I'm just out having fun, but there is never a time when I don't want to improve, and there are some times when I'm downright competitive with either others or myself. It's what pushes me to be a better fisherman.