Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
J.Z

3 for cordova alaska :)

On the gut eyed flies, are you tying the gut long, along the shank near the rear of the fly and VERY tight? If the gut is short or loosly tied, there is a good chance it will pull off under the tug of a good fish. I would reccomend tying the gut almost the length of the shank/body.

ok, i will have to do that, i only tied it down about a half of an inch. Do you think a drop of zapagap in the front might help?

A tight base of waxed thread all the way back and a loose spiral return of a tightly twisted thread followed with the gut and tight side by side thread wraps back to the rear should do it. I don't see the super glue doing anything for it other than maybe making a lumpy base for the rest of the dressing.

If you want to seriously fish blind eye hooks, consider using fly line backing for the "gut" eye.

J.Z.

From my research for fishing flies, You don't want to soak the gut before you form it and put it on.

When you soak the gut a little it swells up. If you tie a soaked gut on a hook, it will shrink again after it dries leaving a loosely tied gut.

Pryce-Tannatt's book, "How to Dress Salmon Flies" gives full instructions on how to put gut on a hook for fishing flies.

Hope this helps?

Howard

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this