Fly Tying

PA Steelhead State Record Just Broken

It looks a few moments ago the Pennsylvania state record Steelhead was broken.

Bob Schoeller of Erie who just brought in a 20lb. 10oz. steelhead. It was 35 1/4 inches long and 21 1/4 inches in girth. It is 7oz. over the current state record of 20lb 3oz.

Here is the link where I seen the report and they are going to keep everyone updated including pictures: http://www.fishusa.com/FishErie/Reports.asp

I would say the average fish is around 5 or 6 lbs. People catch them everyday over 10 but the smaller ones are more common. I seen J.Johnson hook into one on our last trip that was 12 lb plus.

This is good news since I will be there in less than a week biggrin.gif

Now we're talking! Ohio Steelhead fishing, something I can do on a long lunch! smile.gif

Will, Ohio's got plenty of water and if you happen to hit it when the Grand river is fishable you've even got places where you can have the river nearly to yourself with a good walk!

That's a heck of a fish!

If you got the time this month or in April, I can show you around the Chagrin, Grand or Rocky. Currently, everything is blown out and there should be a lot of fish. Here's the picture of the fish. Man, what a hog!!! The angler asked that the name of the river not to be revealed. A smart move on his part.

post-26-1080263486.jpg

I'm shaking as I type this with anticipation.

I can understand him not wanting to disclose the location were the fish was caught.

But he will have to in order for it to be considered a Pa State record.

If it came from private water,the PFC will not certify it as a state record.

Regardless it is one hell of a fish !

Considering he is photoed at Poor Richards, chances are it might have come from Walnut (closet stream) or possibly Elk. Just my $.02 (if anyone cares). I do hear that Ohio has a better spring run than PA. I might be fishing Conneaut on Sun. with some PA friends. Any tips? I have never fished Ohio streams.

That write up really got the juices flowing. I can't wait.

We get some huge steelhead around here too, but they come in a tad later in the Spring due to the colder temperatures. Our season doesn't open until April 24th this year.

Here is a pic from over 4 years ago of my personal best steelie. It came in at 18 pounds...

http://www.onlineflytyer.com/dugallery/pic...iCat=25&iPic=38

Very nice fish Nick!

Bryan,

As far as differences between Ohio and PA fishing goes my experiences are that they are pretty similar as far as how and on what to catch them. The Biggest differnces fall tojust the characteristics that they fun a little bigger and later into the spring.

Well it turns out the guy did catch it in priviate water and will not be certified as the new state record.

This is the fly he used. If you can call it a fly.

staterecordfly.sized