Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brewer

ebay users

a recent auction, and another recently brought up on this board has got me to thinking.....if i knew everyones ebay handles, i wouldnt be bidding against another forum member, and driving the price up!,

(unless your the seller, in which case, this idea sucks).

but what im thinking, (and this happens rarely),....if we know another forum member is bidding, and instead of bidding against, maybe get ahold of said member, and maybe bid WITH that member, split the spoils. its going to be a win win situation....i guess even for the seller.

thoughts on this???

thanks,

"brewersbestbeer"

Mike

i've done that before, and it works out pretty good :)

maybe i didnt express myself quite right....

what id like to do, is keep a list of everyones ebay id"s on hand, so we arent competing

SOUNDS LIKE COOL IDEA

ITEM I AM IN SEARCH OF IS FORGOTTEN FLIES BUT THE WIFE WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO SPEND

200.00BUCKS OR MORE ON A BOOK SHE SAYS.

The problem with that is many of the auctions are now just identified as bidder 1, bidder 2 and so on. You'll always know mine I am sure. My name. I hate the new B1, B2 way cause part of an auction is knowing who you are bidding against and what their buying methods are.

Yeah...who is that Carlampio person anyway???

I've lost my fair share of auctions to him/her. :hyst: :hyst:

Ronn - I noticed just the other day that disguising the bidders ID has been instituted on "higher dollar auctions" by e-Bay in order to limit phishers chasing after them. In that respect it is probably a good idea. But like you Ronn, I got to "know" some of my competitors and what to expect from them :rolleyes:

The thing that is driving me crazy with ebay is that when trying to get some of the rare materials for salmon flies people are bidding like crazy and the price grows to be actually bigger than if you'd buy it from some authorised store.

Indian crow for example is impossible to get with a rational amount of money from ebay. Everyone knows that some of the sellers are putting crow for sale regularly but still they are bidding on it like it's the last pair ever to be sold to the whole humankind. People have just gone crazy with the fancy feathers :D (same thing with bustards, chatterer, toucan etc.)

Timo

Play smart - contact a seller of something you want like crow and offer to buy a chunk if he's got em (it is after all cheaper to avoid selling through ebay and it miraculous what you/I can turn up with a little nouse) - I bought the best part of 100 top quality crow at $25 per 10 feathers (still can't track anyone for chatterer though - skins seem to have pretty much dried up - anyone? - soledad, who sells the 10s, bought it all off ebay himself about 6 months-1 year ago).

I'm a great believer in using an obvious ID - there ain't many tyers out there likely to be carne4464 (would have been Dave Carne but they wouldn't let me have it), though I would say that bidding hard on a book against someone you know can potentially just cause friction if you are aware you're in competition with a mate but both of you are still determined to be the one to win it (and actually when I've sold rare records in the past it is a pain coz I get mates phoning me up trying to talk me into letting them have them cheap - which of course defeats the object).

I have also been through the (what became pretty heated - proving the point) argument at great length in the past on here about the fact that if people know who you really are rather than just an assumed handle then you are less likely to rip people off, insult people or fly off at the deep end without any of the self limitation that thought of potential recourse may have etc...

After all if I were posting here as say 'Kelson's more talented younger brother' I could sell you pigeon feathers coloured blue with a felt tip as chatterer and then when you complained I could publicly tell you to f-off and then threaten your familly on the forum and NOBODY would be able to do anything other than cancel my FTF membership.

Finally having blown ludicrous amounts on ebay (so I know!) - remember to leave your testosterone offline - if it's overpriced drop out of the bidding - no matter how infuriating 'spudmonkey2' is when he keeps sniping you!

Attila the Hun - the scourge of dry rot

:P also there is cock of the rock and indian crow.... mabie a time to split the price :dunno: :headbang:

and bustard http://sporting-goods.search-desc.ebay.com...rchiZQQsaprcloZ

and.... kori, hey john mclain, possibly from you? http://sporting-goods.search-desc.ebay.com...rchiZQQsaprcloZ

if you are low on hooks: http://sporting-goods.search-desc.ebay.com...rchiZQQsaprcloZ http://sporting-goods.search-desc.ebay.com...rchiZQQsaprcloZ

that is all i found...

if you look at lucs feedback rating, it also lets you know what the same people....over, and over again....are willing to pay. kinda puts the kybosh on us working folk.........my pet peave i guess.

i dont think J.Mc has an interest in making dollars off of the kori, hes, well, kinda the poster child for kori.....for lack of better words

Sign in to follow this