Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hellgrammite

Rod and reel for brooks and browns?

Hello all....not sure if this is the right place to ask this?

I got an amazing deal (clearance plus 20% off, total about 75% below list) at the local Gander Mountain today on an 8 foot, 4 wt, 4 piece diamondback rod and a G Loomis Venture 5 reel (price for both? 77 dollars and tax)

My question is, is this rod ok for small streams for brooks and browns, or is it too long/heavy? I can spool the reels with lighter weight (4 or 3, for instance) line and have no ill effects?

Will this setup, or at least the reel, fit the bill for this type fishing, or should i look for a shorter/lighter one? (a shorter one would be nice just to clear brush and trees while casting i suppose)

If this isnt a good setup, what do you reccomend? Dont need brands or whatever, unless a certain length is only made by a certain maker....then please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

PS in case you couldnt tell, im brand new to fly fishing!

Thanks again

Sounds like you got a great set up. I like the lighter weights for smaller trout streams and a 4wt is perfect. On pocket water, shorten your leader and throw big flies, on smooth water lengthen your leader and throw small flies. Perfect! As far as the length, you won't find much shorter than an 8' rid. You made a great decision, now the price....wow!

When I go creeking, I use a 7ft 3wt fiberglass rod because that is what I have. A 4wt would be a better choice because the 3wt is a bit of a pain on windy days. I bought it for bluegill though, had I bought it for trout it would have been a 4wt. I like 7'6" amd 8' rods, they are on the shorter side for really long cast but that will come with enough practice. Some people like longer rods for nothing more than mending line, it is easier with a longer rod. I like the shorter rods because of the tight places I like to fish.

Good luck!

I use a 4wt. 7' from bass pro myself...since i dont really fish big water, it serves me very well with a shorter rod.

BUT, i wouldnt cry if i had to use that combo for that price thats for shure.....reel retail for 100 bucks by itself so ya did great.-jason

BTW...6'6'' rod /drool!!

You're all set. Most use a 7'6 3 or 4 wt for small streams. I fish small (and I do mean SMALL) streams only (for the elusive Brook trout, of course). I use a 5'6 3wt 2 pc that I found at Cabelas, with a 4WF floating line. I have a couple of 7'6 3 and 4 wt that I use as backups.

I think you made the right choice, that combo should serve you well in a lot of different situations. And that's a helluva good price!

For the small North Carolina streams that I fish, I use 2,3 or 4 wt. rods none of them are longer than 6'6". A 9 foot rod would be too much, you wouldn't be able to even roll cast it the streams are so small.

I would buy that combo, though. It's a real good deal.

sounds like you found a deal. I usually fish a 7'6" 4 or 3 wt on the rhododendron choked streams here in NC. An 8 ft. should do you just fine. If you have to do alot of bow and arrow casting then that extra 6" could really come in handy. congrats. on the new rig and good luck :D .

Good deal!

I use a 6'9" 3 wt. on Wisconsin's small spring creeks. It's a rod I built for bluegill, but it works great for trout... most of the time. Sometimes when it's windy or I want to throw some bigger flies I wish I had a 4 wt.

Not a 5, though. That'd be too heavy.

It depends on where you are fishing for brookies. If you are in Canada catching 3lb+ brookies I would say you are good. If you are in Pennsylvania, for instance, where the brookies are not all that big, you should go a lot lighter. For years I fished a 1 weight for brookies, but decided that was still too heavy for the size of many of the fish I was catching. I had a 00 weight bamboo rod built and it is great. It makes the "big" 6 inchers feel like monsters.

As far as length, it depends on the streams you fish and your casting style. I like a 7' for many of the waters I fish brookies. My wife likes a 6'6" on the same waters. My buddy fishes a 5'9" on the same waters and believes a brookie rod over 6' is too long. Lots of personal preference.

As far as browns, what you are describing sounds good for many brownie streams, as they typically a bigger. Again, I prefer a light rod, in the 1-2 weight category, but that is personal preference.

Good luck.

Thanks all for the replies, i might get a smaller and shorter one for brookies, and use this for places where browns predominate, but for the moment it looks like i will get by with this...nice to see that for once a "good deal" that i found actually turned out to be a good deal!

Thanks again!