Fly Tying
VERN-O

Which do you prefer

Pedestal vs. C-clamp  

323 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just carry a 6inch C clamp and a piece of wood you can clamp your vise to. Works on picnic table and tail gate a like, though a bottom piece of wood to protect said tail gate.

C clamps rock, Futzer.

after using both a c-clamp and a pedestal vice, I prefer the pedestal, I don't have a permanent tying desk, so it is nice to be able to move my vice when I have to do something else.

I actually use both. If I am tying at my portable tying station then I use a C-clamp. If I actually made it to the bench, then I use the pedestal.

I ACTUALLY CLAMP MY PEDESTAL DOWN WITH MY C CLAMP IT KEEPS IT FROM HOPPING AROUND. IF I DONT IT MOVES ON ME I HAVE A ANVIL ATLAS VISE AND THE BOTTOM IS FAIRLY HEAVY. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY MORE THAN ONE PERSON I AM BEING TOO HEAVY HANDED WHEN TYING. I DONT BREAK THREAD OFTEN OR BEND HOOKS. SO AM I IN ALL YOUR OPINIONS BEING TOO HARD ON MY FLIES WHILE IN THE VISE? FRED

I have two vises both are Clamp. The first is a cheap kit vise, the other is a Sunrise Spring Vise, not expensive but a thousand times better than the kit vise. I'm looking for a pedestal for the Sunrise, for those days that I'll be traveling and can't take my tying bench with me.

Pedestal. I like the peak base one its huge and white. 2 the second shaft is great for freeing up the tying space form things like the back plate the trash bag and the bobbin holder.

Hey, next time you empty out your "trash bag" in the photos, just pour all your trash into a box and send it to me! I'll pay the postage :rolleyes:

ive tied both ways.

not happy with either.

Maybe you should embed it in a concrete floor. :hyst:

I'm a pedestal man myself.

Great advice TB! I've got both c-clamp for travel and pedestal on the bench. I converted a small wood working bench into fly tying. I've got a Wasatch wood pedestal mount so I called Dean Childs and asked him to sell me a brass mount to insert into some red oak I cut to fill the tool trough. Put a danvise lap extender into the mount and my Renzetti Traveler works just fine! TDS

I use pedestal base to 95% of my tying. It's most convenient since I don't tie only in my tying room. I move around in the apartment... both kitchen and in the livingroom (with a beer in front of the TV B)). It's also good when weaving on the Barracuda, to be able to move it away from you instead of having to move away from the bench.

I think the 5lbs base for the Barracuda is very stable... and it's more or less part of the bench. When tying on the Supreme, I often just change vise in the base.