Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
firebug

First flies

My first flies, wooly worm and nymph. Just a starter kit attempt.

As a newbie I have tons of questions.

Difference in fly thread and regular sewing tread?

Chenille and yarn from craft stores and fly shop, are they the same?

Am running out of material and need to restock.

Need some ideas of flies for smallmouth.

post-11896-1185769507_thumb.jpg

post-11896-1185769532_thumb.jpg

Very nice first flies.

Yes, tying thread is different from sewing thread. It is flatter and that helps hold materials down better and shape heads nicer too. I'm sure other reasons too that others can write about.

Yes, chenille from the craft store is different than from a fly shop.......it's cheaper! you can use whatever you'd like to on your flies. I've tied on old keyboard wire, Christmas decorations, plastic bags, even a tampon (yes, you read that right). So, buy what works for you and the fly. There are tons of guys here that buy skeins of yarn for flies. I've never seen chenille or yarn sold by the skein at a fly shop. A friend of mine bought enough black chenille at the craft store to last a long long time.

Keep up the good work. Now get some flies tied for fishing (I suggest keeping the first few....even if you fish them first)

im a relative newby as well. been tyin' since February or march.

pretty much everything oatka said.

some materials can be found at local craft stores. my favorite haunt/chain store is 'hobby lobby'.

thread. even though this seems silly i will post this to save the same trouble/oversight i had when first tying. i didnt realize that there are many different 'types' of thread that have different uses/purposes. i unfortunately started with very heavy thread not knowing any better which made some obscenely large heads on the flys.

so you have big 220 denier thread down to 60/70.....................think ive even seen some ultra fine stuff, but havent dabbled with it yet.

right now i prefer danville flymaster flat waxed 6/0. they have some nifty colors available as well. everything from 'adams' gray to a very bright chartreuse!

good luck.

camoham

Since I started tying I've had an issue, I see Tying materials in the strangest places, just about any place I look :D I was able to fend off these issues for a few years, until recently I found the forums, now I'm hopelessly doomed :hyst:

I buy quite a bit of materials and usually buy in bulk so if any of you want to get any chenille or thread when I order I can do that. I also have a lot of chenille on hand and some I could sell some 5 yard packs or more.

Oh and all my chenille is for crappie jigs so it is size #2. I have not only one color chenille I also have a good number of variegated or speckled. On both I buy Nylon if the color come in Nylon and only buy Rayon if I can't get the color in Nylon. Nylon cost a little more but it also ties much better and is not as likely to get all mashed looking. I can also sell 5 yards without using a card like the stores do which makes the chenille mashed.

On the thread unless It's a color I want also (or have in stock) you would probably have to buy more than you want. However I find my self neeeding some 6/0 thread since I have got more into fly tying and much of what I have now is 210 stuff for jigs. I have to buy 12 spools at a time for each color I get.

If any of you are interested just send me a PM and we can talk.

Skip