Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CapeBSalar

Deke's Spey Hackle

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post this....I had a couple packages of something called Deke's Spey Hackle from the local shop ordered in for me. Thinking it was something new, not knowing, thought, worth a try. Well I got it today and it's just plain old burnt goose, nothing new, nothing special. I don't know if anyone else uses it. Not saying anything bad or negative, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Damian.

damian: last i heard, Whiting had developed a "nice" spey hackle with the assistance of Henry Hoffman.

I never tried the "new" stuff as i use schlappen or chicken sidetails, but it might be worth a try

Dave P :)

Hey Dave,

I think the stuff you may be speaking of is called, "Bird Fur" I have tried it and it's very fine and hard to manage. Don't really care for it. Guess it's time to invest in a Blue Eared Pheasant skin!! LOL!

I thought I saw that Whiting had necks and saddles called spey necks and spey saddles and was wondering how it might be. Don't care to much of the Bird Fur either CapeBsalar. Davpot is that what you were thinking of, the spey necks and spey saddles? :)

Don't waste the money on the Whiting spey necks. I have one, and I find the fibres too thin (like, thinner than my hair) and it takes many feathers to build up a hackled body/throat. The feather's rachis is also rather thick, and many of the individual barbs are easily broken (again, too thin). I use them on some flies, but only in conjunction with other hackles.

There are two Blue Eared Pheasant eggs for sale on EBAY. That would be a nice pet to have so you could pluck feathers any time you wanted. :)

:blink: I agree with you all, those products you mention are pretty "substandard" but, yes, I actually did hear that a NEW and IMPROVED Spey Saddle was under development by whiting! I just never followed it up, as there are so many other good subs. I know.....may John McClain will start giving THAT away soon!! :P

Thats all I think I know...

Dave P.

yup, the old whiting spey cape was......a silkie chicken, rooster maybe....kinda like thinned out marabou.

not sure about the new stuff

if your looking for some good spey material ronn lucas has some awesome material in a great selection of colors. great for spey and wraps real easy, i highly recommend it. Best Regards Paul

John Shewey used to sell choice marabou that was a great sub. Not sure if he still does or not. If you were to go to your flyshop and buy a big bag of marabout, you'd probably be able to hand pcik a fair number of feathers that would do the job. Unfortunately there aren't too many nad it's time consuming to find them, but marabou is awful cheap.

Sign in to follow this