Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
scott marquard

Japanese silk fishing gut

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for silk fishing gut that was produced by Japan Silk Fishing Gut Association. I have a partial package that I got from Chris Helm sometime ago. The gut is is wrapped up and attached to a card which is brown with green lettering. It is marked No. 5, Test 6lbs., length 10 yards and mist colour. If anyone has some of this or knows somewhere else this is available, I would like to buy it.

Thx,

Scott

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for silk fishing gut that was produced by Japan Silk Fishing Gut Association. I have a partial package that I got from Chris Helm sometime ago. The gut is is wrapped up and attached to a card which is brown with green lettering. It is marked No. 5, Test 6lbs., length 10 yards and mist colour. If anyone has some of this or knows somewhere else this is available, I would like to buy it.

Thx,

Scott

If you talking about the single strand monofilament gut I have a full roll of the stuff.

Think mine is 15 lb though.

Dave

Hi Dave,

That sounds just like it. Is 15lbs. fairly large in diameter? I don't have a micrometer but the 5lbs. just looking at it is about .015" to .020".

Thx,

Scott

15 lb is fairly big. 5 lb for flies up to about 3/0 or 4/0. 10 lb to 6/0. 15 lb to about 7/0 to 8/0. 20 lb 9/0. 25 lb 10/0. Two strand twisted. That is what I use so the gut is proportionate to the hook size. I like it fairly close to the wire size.

im sure i saw an auction(s) for antique hooks on ebay recently, and am sure they were ron reinholds. i happened to click on his other auctions, and he had a crapload of the same gut you are talking about, all different sizes.

maybe get his contact info, or wait till he puts up another auction

Dave,

If you would like to sell it , pm me and we'll work out the details.

GSB,

Who is Phil Castleman and do you know how I can contact him?

Thx,

Scott

Sign in to follow this