Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tauchsieder

Gosling

Oh, how did I miss this one? I think this is a great soft hackle fly, Hartmut! I love the look of the elongated tail fibers and the color. Looks like a killer stillwater pattern (lots of movement).

Hartmut

a nice irish tie

its one i dont use myself

your fly is light on colour and id reckon would work on a brightsh day

all the best

john

Not a bad attempt TS. The use of "Straddlebug" dressings as they are known is pretty much isolated to the big loughs of Ireland and to some extent Scotland so it's unlikely you'll get much of a response to your dressing on a board that's heavily US based. It's not a reflection of your tying, it's just that most folks won't know what it is.

If I might give you a little constructive criticism. Try using a different coloured thread, say olive or yellow. The thread colour makes all the difference to the shade of a dubbed body. Try getting hold of some real Seals fur, it's miles better than Antron IMO. The ribbing really wants to be a bit thinner with slightly closer turns and the head's a bit big. Having said all that your fly will still catch fish. As Jon says, it's a fly for a brighter day.

I occasionally use a different version of the Gosling that has a golden olive/ golden brown Seal body and the hackles are Golden Pheasant red body feather and palest bronze mallard (see attachment). My favourite Straddlebug dressing has to be one of the many French Partridge variations.

IPB Image

A large Golden Olive Dabbler is something I often use these days.

IPB Image

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes.

Alex

post-1877-1186308747_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

thank you very much for the nice comments and for Alex's kind advices and wonderful examples. I will keep them in mind.

Getting real seal dubbing is almost impossible because of our import regulations.

A friend of mine uses this attractive patterns for troutfishing in the Black Forest and finding them in Malone's book, I've thought to give them a try.

Thanks again.

Hartmut

Baxk in the mid 1970s Rogan's of Donegal sold a collection of 6 colours of their dubbing mixes amongst other items such as capes, j.cs etc. I was one of the purchasers of the dubbing set, "dyed to the original reciepes" including the Rogans Gosling colour, which had according to Rogans used "asses urine" used as a consituant part of the dye. As Rogan's were were known throughout the world, they must have sold many such packs. It surprises me that I've never seen anyone use their original colour in either flies or supply of materials such as seal, mohair etc. My set was used up many years ago, but the thing that I remember was the Gosling colour, it was almost flourescent lemon and nothing like any of the later versions seen.

Do these look anything like them Arkle?

An old friend of mine went to some extraordinary lengths years ago to dye his Seals fur and other bits and pieces using natural dyes and mordants. He even used Horses (not Ass) urine to get Rogan's famous fiery brown.

Now me, I'm a considerably less obsessive but I tried to emulate the shades he attained by using normal acid dyes. The yellow is pretty straight forward, bright yellow with an over dye of very weak insect green. The fiery brown is a blend of shades but gives the warm golden brown glow of the original when seen by transmitted light whilst looking bracken orange/brown by reflected light. That took some experimentation.

I ask as he may have been copying Rogan's colours as he was certainly tying in the 70's.

The picture makes them look a bit drab but it's the best I could get without setting up a decent light source.

post-1877-1186652793_thumb.jpg