Fly Tying
mpukas

Favorite scissors

Hey Fella's!

Mostly I use Dr Slick's razor scissors - the longer ones. I've got a couple pair of the shorter ones, but the tips are not nearly as thin and pointy as the longer ones. I tried filing one pair to make the tips pointeir, but i roally messed them up! Ooopps.... :blink:

I've been trying to not put the scisoors down so much and keep them in my hand, but the longer razor scissors get in the way. I've started flipping them to the outside of my palm, but again the long ones are too big to do it comfortably and safely.

Soooo... I may be in the market for a new pair of tying scisssors. I like longer-ish blades to cut hair and wire down towards the joint, and very fine tips for trimming.

What's you favorite?

Cheers guys! mpp

I also have a set of Dr. Slick "hair" scissors I bought this summer. Price was right and they seem very good although somewhat large. Not an issue to me though. I also have a set of Thompson "ice tempered" scissors I use all the time. They're at least 10 years old and still work fine.

I have 3 favourite pairs, one is a pair I got at Canadian tire for about $5.00 in the knife/cooking section. one edge serrated they have about a 4 inch blade and are work horse scissors. They cut just about anything.

The other are serrated Dr. Slick Iris Scissor for fine work, I think they were a bit over $20.00 bucks and worth every penny and more.

The other pair I got from E.A.T. at Anglers Den, as a gift for placing an order. No serration, great for synthetics.

I have several other pairs, like curved and hair trimming but like a razzor for that stuff.

I have 3 pairs that I really like also. I bought a pair of titanium scissors at Wal-Mart for about $5. I use that one for trimming tinsels and wire. I have a pair of the Dr Slick razors that a friend gave me and a pair of the Anvils I got from Cabelas bargain basement for about $8.

Mike

wow!! I am low budget. I just use the ones I get at walmart for about 5 bucks in a three pack. They cut everything I need just fine, and havent had to sharpen any of em yet. Id rather go cheap, in case they break.

I'm with steeldrifter, Anvil's are great for the price. Chris Helm talked with Anvil and persuaded them to produce serrated ones, VERY nice and you can manage them in your hand

I'm with oldfart on this one. Wiss clips are razor sharp and are the only scissors

I can comfortably keep in my hand while I am tying. :)

-Tom

wow!! I am low budget. I just use the ones I get at walmart for about 5 bucks in a three pack. They cut everything I need just fine, and havent had to sharpen any of em yet. Id rather go cheap, in case they break.

I had to buy that same three-pack when I saw it too... the ones with blue handles. Unfortunately the loops are so tiny I can't get any of my fingers in past the second knuckle. While that might be good for some things, it ain't no good for skizzors. I tried modding one of them by cutting out a section of loop and bending it. That sort of worked. Then I found out they are total crap for cutting deer hair and the points aren't tight. So for five bucks per 3 pack, and about an hour and a half of frustration, I figure I lost money on that deal.